1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt storage in pick up bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by iceyman, Dec 28, 2015.

1. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Looking to see if anybody fabbed any kind of bin to hold some bulk in the back of a pickup.. We have the bog ass salt dogg tailgate spreader and its a pita to put 15 bags in it.. Was thinking something we could load with skid then shovel into spreader.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Before i purchased a Vbox, I put a tarp in the bed of a the truck, then picked up one of those waste management carry tarps, I would load the salt in that, cover it up and use a coal shovel to load it in the spreader. Worked great unles the salt got wet.

If you're looking for a tote, snow ex makes something

3. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

I built a box out of 2x4s and covered it with a tarp and shoveled bulk salt into my Salt Dogg tailgate salter. The box was just big enough to fit between the fender wells, and I could hold roughly 1.5 to 2 yards of salt. I might be able to find a pic of you need it

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

buy a 275 gal platic tank in a metal tote, cut the top off

5. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

We built a salt box on a wood pallet frame. The sides are 4 feet high, and the box is the size of the wood pallet. Using a pallet allows us to load it onto the truck prior to use. The front is a series of 1x 6 pine boards, the series of boards lets the driver shovel some off the pile, and when you get below the first board simply remove it. It makes it easier to shovel from the box. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Or you can just cut out the "middleman" and buy a small v box.

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

We have a v box on another truck so this will do. And please post that pic when you can^^

8. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Bolt 2 together and there's almost no waste from the loader bucket.

9. FourDiamond

Here are the pics of one of ours. Hope it helps.

salt box 009.jpg

salt box 001.jpg

salt box 003.jpg

salt box 005.jpg

salt box 004.jpg

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Nice design with the removable boards .. Thanks!!

11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

13. pnoone

pnoone Member

Clever design with the removable boards. So the salt stays dry without any kind of plastic lining?

14. FourDiamond

The box in the pics is used for 1B stone for unpaved lots. The normal salt boxes have a series of holes for bungee cords, add a small tarp over it and you're good to go.

15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Im almost done with mine.. Have to finish the front with at least top half removable like above. Then figure either a tarp or lid of some sort