1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreading

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LawnNgarden guy, Nov 27, 2002.

1. LawnNgarden guy

LawnNgarden guy Junior Member

Just was wondering what is the average charge for salting walks with an Earthway push spreader w/pneumatic tires.
    Should I be charging by the pound and how much should I be charging per pound.
    Should I be using salt or cal cloride ?
  2. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Use a treated salt and charge by the pound or by the bag.
  3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We figure out time for the crew to spread the material (our hourly rate) plus the material cost which is marked up.

Hypothetically... we figure it will take 1 man .5 hours to spread 5,000 square feet with 1 bag of de-icer. De-icer cost - $10.00, we'll charge $20.00 or $25.00 plus another $40.00 for labor - so the price to the customer would be $60.00 or $65.00.

We then take this number as a guide and price test it to the market. Does $60.00 seem reasonable. What's the expectation for clear pavement? Will our one bag be enough, or will we have to add more when temps drop? What's our scheduling look like? Will be applying this early in our route or late in our route (how long to burn down the ice?).

Another way to do it other than per application would be to do it per bag applied. The only thing I don't like by per bag is that you are telling your customer how much material you are using. I like to think that as a professional, it's up to you to determine how much to use under current conditions. Though I understand the pros to pricing per bag applied as well. But what about a property where you apply one bag, or less than one bag, versus a property where you apply 6 bags. If you charge $30.00 per bag, will you be leaving money on the table with the 1/2 bag property and/or charging too much for the property requiring 6 bags?
  4. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Use a 1 bag minimum or the policy that once a bag is open it is to be paid for.
  5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

we charge a figured rate on what we think it will take. we figure the applied cost per bag at 2.5 times our cost. so if we think it will take for bags we will charge them 100.00 wether we put 1 bag or six down
  6. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

The National average is about $19.00 per thousand square feet.
  7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

And where may we find the evidence and computation to support this statment?
  8. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I'd be very inetrested in seeing that also!!
  9. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

In The Book Landscape estimating by Means
  10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I have read numerous editions of that book a few years ago as one is released every year and they are full of info like that,great book,a bit pricey i believe but tons of figures in them.
  11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I just bid an account that had just under 1000 square foot of walks. The sidewalk portion for deicing was bid at $30. Of course, my material cost is about 35 cents/1000 if I figure an application rate of 10#/1000 of bulk, sidewalk grade material I have about $70/ton in by the time transport and storage are accounted for. I do realize most of you will have higher material costs, but BY FAR labor will be your highest cost.

Somewhere between $20-$30 would be a good place to think about setting a "minimum charge."

There is cheaper service available (and probably more expensive, too) in my market, but I don't want to have "the most" accounts; rather "the most profitable" accounts.
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I charge 24 cents/pound for rocksalt, applied to the lot.

For Sidewalks, I usually set a whole dollar amount.

For instance on my Church account the other night I went out and pre treated the property. Here's how it went....

12-10-02.....640lbs Rocksalt Applied.................................$153.60

12-10-02.....Application of Calcium Cloride for concrete.........$25.00

So for $178.60 they were protected from freez-up that next morning.

I spent 7min travel time x2 (15min) and a total of 30 minutes loading/spreading the salt/calcium. So thats 45 minutes total job time.

Now for the material cost. $36 for the salt, and $6 for the Calcium. So thats Roughly $42 in material cost.

Billed out $ 178.60
    Materials $ - 42.00

Divided by .75hr = $182/hr

Can you say I love WINTER!!

Now granted, thats not figuring in Fuel, truck wear and tear (like a 4" rust hole in my cab corners!!), etc, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have been told by many that I am low on my salting prices, and just as many tell my I am high. Bottom line, my customers are happy, and so is my wallet.

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

New spreader

I bought the new spreader. My choices were the smith all stainless elctric and a Fisher stainless with Honda power. I went with the smith for 2 major reasons.
    1- I own 1 already and it has never given me a problem in over 5 yrs of service. So I trust them.
    2- I can interchange the units between trucks as they are set up the same.
    One nice thing is that even tho they are 5 yrs apart, there are no mojor differneces between them, so they have a good thing and it is working. I bought it from Hartford Equipment for 3600.00 + tax. Nice people, they also carry Fisher- Snowway- and Blizzard plows. I will definatly check them out for outfitting my new truck next year.