1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreading

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SteveR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

This is my first year really spreading salt,have allways used sand. My question is what type of light to use to watch the discharge? I have a white light but cant see the salt well, does amber work better?
  2. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i just use a simple tractor light that i attached to the frame of the spreader and conected it to my trailer plug. i plugged it into the trailer plug so it wouldnt pull from the spreader.. i am able to see the salt fine.. good luck..
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

amber works very good and if you have the room ,use them both. I use both on my truck and they work great.
  4. edinning

edinning Junior Member

Plugging into the trailer plug what did you use to power and how did you turn on/off?
  5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

if it is a 7 wire plug the center is 12v and the bottom left is ground.....as you look at it.....

I only use it for backing so it comes on in reverse and goes off in drive......

6. BobC

BobC Senior Member

No light. I know the settings on my spreader for different applications. Also if it doesn't indicate jam and the vibrater noise doesn't increase I know it's putting down material. A quick look in mirror confirms this as I see salt bouncing on pavement. In a parking lot I can also double check as I pass area already done which gives me a full view of applied salt.