1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreading Rates

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mackengr, Dec 7, 2005.

1. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

I have a Snow Ex Pivot Pro 1075 spreader. The dial in the cab reads up to 99. If I am wanting to spread app. 15lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. what should I set the dial to? The owner's manual doesn't help at all.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

It all depends on the speed you are driving while spreading the salt .

3. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I have my dial at 25 when I salt after scraping and at 30 when I need to burn off an 1" or so. Drive speed is about 5-10 mph

4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Your best bet is to bite the bullet on a few hundred pounds and try it on dry pavement. I have salted my street on dry sunny days:p just to learning the spread pattern. I would bet you would have it down in a few hundred lbs. Small price to pay to know what you are doing :D

5. mackengr

mackengr Junior Member

Thank you.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

too many variables

unfortunately there are too many variables to have the same results every time. experience is the only way and a sharp eye and ear to whats going on behind you. The salt sometimes is mostly rock and sometimes is more dusty. What I do is load up my hopper with what I think will be needed for the current forecast, adjust the spread rate for how far I want it to fly: 5', 10', 30', then speed up or slow down for how heavy a coat I want. Typically I will do it like your spreading fert, do a light coating everywhere then coat again paying extra attention to handicap spots, etc. until I run out. This way I know I've at least hit everything, then I hop out and do the sidewalks and if I see something a little weak, I throw a handful at it.

If you have a V-Box, this is not the way you would do it, but I've found with small to medium sized lots (5-20 bags) with a tailgate spreader, it works well.