1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreaders

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MO TOYS, Sep 10, 2006.

1. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

Salt spreaders should i have a salt spreader on the back of my truck or is it possible to get by with one that you walk behind. What is the average price i would expect to pay for one that goes in the hitch?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes I get calls to go and do a very small area. Maybe 500-600lbs. of salt. I have a walk behind spreader that holds 125lbs. All I can say this is a major PITA. If you have to do any more then 1000lbs. I would get a tailgate spreader. I think I am getting one this year to go with my 2 V boxes.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Just my 2 cents We use tailgate type cuz we change chemicals all the time i tend to like the snow -ex 575 great pattern and can run out in about 3 min tops so we fill them often but we can control the pattern if needed but most of the time its wide open.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hitch mounted tailgates much faster and easier. We carry them from 4 cubic feet to 10 cubic feet.

5. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

About what could i expect to pay for a 400 pound one?

6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

do a search on salt spreaders and go to a local dealer the buyers are not bad but they take longer to apply chemicals

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I sent you a PM

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I have a used SnowEx 575 available.