1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by havenlax18, Dec 20, 2010.

1. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Is this a good idea, and no I'm not a low baller. This week im purchasing 2 tailgait spreaders. 1 for a 4x4 jeep and here is my q, do you think it would be ok if I put a spreader on one of my 2 NON 4x4 99 f250. I think it should be ok because i have a tool box in there with some weight plus the spreader itself it should be fine right?

2. matter

matter Junior Member

yes, the added weight helps out alot, i got a 99 f250 2wd, with a 8 foot vbox, definatly makes a big difference

3. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I can amagine! Thanks for the advice.

4. voyagerxii

voyagerxii Junior Member

If your hanging a salter on a 2wd and just using it for salting you should be fine. I mean, the lots or drives will already be plowed before you show up to salt. If you need to salt a hill then do it in reverse so you are salting the drive before you travel on it. Store your extra salt over the rear axle. Having said all that, I wouldn't be comfortable with a 2wd.

Scott

5. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Thanks Scott I should be fine because all I have is commercail lots. I will not be the one operating. I drive the 94 f350.

6. Just remember it is very unwise as well as not recommended to drive around with salt in the hopper of a tailgate spreader for very long. It will pack down and jam up bad. Just keep that in mind with the jeep especially, as you really will have nowhere to store your bagged salt as well as no access to open the tailgate of either vehicle due to the hitch mount spreaders.