1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreaders Tailgate?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WALKERS, Feb 16, 2007.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok guys PICK YOUR BRAIN TIME In your opinion and experience what is the best tailgate spreader out there for 300 to 450 of salt capacity and for the money.
    All comments welcomed and Thanks in advance.:waving:
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i have a buyers low pro with the motor in the hopper.. its never let me down..i only paid $100. for it used that's the best...because it was cheap and a money maker..payup
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'll tell you what I have come to like/dislike about my tailgate salter after 3 years of use.

I like how mine is not higher than the tailgate, I like the variable speed controller, I like that I have mounted a bunch of lights on it. I like how it makes me money!

I dislike that it takes two people to put on and off, how it uses the hitch so I can't tow someone out, that it can't take treated (wet) salt, and I dislike that it does not have a steel guard to protect it when backing up into something.

I need to get the wire screen that goes on top so you just throw the bags and not worry about chunks, I need to get a vibrator so I can use treated salt.

I don't like the swingaway's because of all the holes you have to put into the truck.
  4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I'm right there w/ GM. I like my Meyers Mate, but I don't like how it covers up the hitch & I haven't installed the swing-away because I don't want to put all the holes in my truck. I also don't like how it doesn't throw wet sand very well. It throws everything else, wet or dry, pretty good though. I'm still getting used to a tailgate spreader vs my 8 foot Buyers spreader that I had in my F250. That thing was a tank & I never had to get out of the truck.
  5. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I have a boss it powers it self up and locks no muscle needed. I actuall y have 3 buyers on my sub trucks and work well. But when i want to use a trailer quick i dont have anyone close to help me un hook it. That is why i bought the boss very pricy but 2 storms payed for it. Also the motor is concealed.
  6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I have a Western Pro Flo 2 two stage spreader that I bought last winter used for $600 I beleive off of a guy on here. Drove a few hours to pick it up. Worked awesome never had problems, I like the 2 stage design, it doesn't clog or get tripped up on clumps... handles wet stuff great. the variable speed controller is nice, like the burst option (think they all have that).. does a good job. BUT ITS HEAVY!!!!! takes 2 guys to mount... And they're around $3k new last i checked... They're a bit more complicated than a single stage and it requires a little more maintenance, you gotta make sure everythings really clean after winter and grease the crap out of the bearings... And they're not too cheap to fix stuff on either. The conveyor belt is like $175 +/- , the bearing opposite of the gearbox is $65 +/-, they have a gearbox on them that probably isn't cheap but will last forever. They're a really nice spreader but if i were to buy a new tailgate it wouldn't be a 2 stage for what I do but I'm sure it has its place. This one can spread rock salt, sand, anything you put in it (a single stage can't do that and they can clog up easier)...

I recently bought a old Flink V box spreader, and am in the process of rebuilding it.. but I think I'll like it :D
  7. JSLandscaping

JSLandscaping Junior Member

I have an Air Flo model tailgate sander on the one truck. Bought it for 300 dollars 3 years ago, and put maybe 125 into it to replace bearings and the conveyor belt. This sander has been reliable since the time we started using it. Sreads any type of material with no problem what so ever. never has let us down in any type of weather. The 2 stage spreaders are really the way to go, it feeds it perfectly and can hold quite a bit of salt. I built a 4x7x3 plywood and 2x4 framed box that sits in the back of the truck to hold bulk salt, very easy set up. I know not too many guys run the Air flo tailgate sander mss, but if you get a chance check one out, they are great performers for any type of material.