1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreaders - Salt/Sand

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by zorro7, Oct 12, 2007.

1. zorro7

zorro7 Junior Member

Morning guys. Well it's official. I finally bit the bullet and got a Boss 8'2" Poly V plow w/smartlocks. Actually I am meeting the dealer in Seattle who is selling a plow to another Canadian who lives in my town. I spoke to this guy (who owns a landscape/snow removal business) and he said not to buy a spreader (hitch mount Boss 1100) because of liability issues. He said that I'll spend more time filling the thing than actually plowing since it gets used up so quickly. He also made the point that after salting and the ice melts, that when you go back to plow again that it'll be "Hockey night in Safeway's Parking Lot". (For all you non-hockey players: it'll be slippery.) I can understand all this logic. OK here come the questions:
    1) Then why do they have spreaders in the first place?
    2) What about using just sand for traction and not use salt?
    3) How does the Boss spreader work with sand? Good? Bad? Won't?
    4) Should I forget about the spreader altogether since it doesn't snow here that much?

Any help and comments would help a ton. Thanks in advance guys.
    Lorenzo

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

ill keep my opinion/answers short

1.read ice mngmt forum "why do i salt"
    2.makes a freakin mess but good in the spring if you have a sweeper
    3.i dont know
    4. no. my q' to you: then why do you have a plow

if at some point you decide to do any comercial ie. nextdoor gasstation ma&pa grocery store etc. you will HAVE TO salt

3. powerjoke

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check out the suggested posts.

I still don't understand why a dealer doesn't want to sell equipment:confused:

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Boss spreader. I salt 2 properties with it. A 66,000 sq. ft lot and a large wrap around driveway. I fill it 3/4. That's pleanty salt for both properties.

6. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

sand really doesn't work too well and causes a large environmental impact. I have a huge commercial client that has used a sand/salt mix for many years. We started maintaining them last season, and the site was an absolute mess. We generated about 75 tons of sand dust at the end of the season from the sweeper trucks. Where do I dispose of all that?

It gets on the turf, gets into drains, into expansion joints on bridges, just an absolute mess. It may help for the first few cars, but then the sand breaks down into fine dust, or pushes off to the side of the lot or road. Does that offer any traction?

This year we will use straight salt, save $$$ on sweeping, not have to dump 75 tons of salty, oily sand and will probably have a quicker meltdown of any icy patches with the straight salt.

As far as salting in the first place, our commercial clients require it, and we would be in court alot if we just went and plowed an area.

If you don't treat the area at all, eventually snow is going to bond to the surface and at some point during the day create an icy nightmare. I think that would be more of a liability than attempting to melt any icy spots.

Remember there are two types of mini spreaders - a single stage and two stage. The single stage usually has an auger or screw inside, and dumps the de-icer on the spinner, while the two stage, has a belt or chain that drags the material to the edge, onto the spinner. A few also have a vibrator. Usually the western pro flo 2, or airflo mss could handle the sand, but most of the others out there only handle the straight salt.

I would hope if you do salt, that you set a price to come back in the early morning and provide an ice-watch where you look for the "hockey rink" and apply de-icer as needed to maintain a safe surface.

7. powerjoke

i HAD a western pro flo2 and the 2 happiest days was when i bought it and when i sold it (JUNK) brand new high priced JUNK (no disrespect)to and pro-flo owner i just did not have ANY luck with mine i put a vibrator on it i also put aditional auger flight's on it but mostley we followed (walked) the truck with a rubber mallet beating on the hopper, it was my first year in snow and the worst 22Ton i ever spread

If you are going to do any salting at all buy a V-Box with a GAS motor