1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt / spreader ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by groundbreakers, Dec 5, 2007.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

is it okay to leave your spreader full of salt in between storms ... kinda like i just filled it up last night .. and used about half of it today .. or should i have scoop it all out then refill when the storm hits ?

2. Prime

Prime Junior Member

Empty it and wash it out. If you leave salt in it- stuff will start to rust up. Think of it as preventative maintenance. The same goes for all my plows and even the trucks. We spray everything off every night.

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we leave our's loaded all season,

with chemicals like FluidFilm and salt-x it really isnt that much of a concern but try your best to keep it dry, tarp it after every time you load it and leave the tarp on till you load again then tarp again. so on&so on and you'll be fine

4. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I leave mine with sand/salt in it all winter long due to the fact I have no way of reloading easily. I wish I had a place to store it so I could spin off left over and washout. Oh well maybe next year but that's what I said last year:realmad:

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

we absolutely NEVER leave anything in the salter after plowing even if we're coming back in the early am for final clean up. shovel a froze up salter empty once and you'll learn fast:angry:

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

a couple of day shouldnt be a problem as long as its covered and temps dont stay low enough to cause it to freeze

JR

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It's fine as long as it's stored inside. If not, you will find out just how amazingly much this stuff actually DRAWS and ABSORBS moisture. you will end up with a 1500 lb. block of salt. - Makes for one heck of a salt lick.

8. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

okay appreciate the answer ... i forgot about the rust issue ..