1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreader ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigboss1977, Dec 3, 2011.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

Anyone have any input on a good salt spreader? Nothing to cheap, but nothing that is going to break the bank this year anyways. Have only about three customers that are requesting salt services.

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

There are a lot of different spreaders, you got your tailgate spreader, dump truck under mounts, v boxes in all shapes sizes and textures, poly, steel, stainless steel. Really need a bit more info to give you any help. How large are the lots, are you expanding into more salting, bulk or bagged product, do you want to load bagged each time you are ready to salt, or dumped in by loader and go spread. Just need some more input.

3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly. :salute:

4. bigboss1977

from Utah

Sorry about that lack of information, new to dealing with this on my own for the first time.

I have a rather large days inn parking lot, but they only want salt in trouble areas on the north side of their parking lot where it doesnt get much sun and there tends to be ice there......the other two lots are the same way, only in trouble area's where there is ice on the parking lot. I'd like to expand into more salting, but just don't know if it will happen this year, think I have about everyone that I'm going to have unless one of these low ballers that have taken everything in my area stuble and fall....then hopefully I will have more

I actually have a an older buyers receiver hitch mount speader that I picked up next to nothing on CL this last summer, figure why not. But it seems like it would do better for just residential. It really doesn't throw the salt out there. And I've just been using bagged salt with this spreader. I'd like to buy bulk, but don't know where I would put it, out of the weather.

So I guess for the time being I'd be using bagged salt. Just want something that really throws the salt out there good. I'm sure I missed something, sorry like I said new to dealing with all this on my own. Thanks guys apprciate all the advice and input, only hope I can be as successful as you guys one day.

Thanks again

5. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

haha thats better. What truck do you drive?
    Assuming its a pickup, you prob. could use a Nice single yard Vbox. Now it might break the bank a little but it will pay off. When i was 19 i had a shop but no loader or anything to load the spreader with so it didnt make sense for me to go out and buy a huge pile of salt and drop it at my shop....

Most landscape supply yards that sell salt, (around here at least) Are open during a storm.
    And if not they have a number you can call and if you're lucky they will come out and open up for you. Now it is kind of a pain sometimes but since it sounds lie you dont use much salt it wouldnt be too bad of a deal... Just search around!

6. bigboss1977

from Utah

I have a 2001 Ford F250 Super Duty.....

Great, thanks for your help. Appreciate it a ton.

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Spreader options

If you decide to go with bulk salt, you may want to take a look at the SnowEx 7750. It will work fine in that truck and it is a 1.4 yard capacity. These work well. We rune a couple of them.

If you decide to go with a tailgate spreader, SnowEx makes a model called an 1875 that holds about 600 pounds of bagged material at a time. This is a very nice spreader that has an auger feed system but is a tailgate spreader. We use several of them. If you have any questions, feel free to call us on Monday. Good luck with your decision.

8. bigboss1977

from Utah

I guess the auger feed spreaders would spread better?

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Material flow control

It gives you the opportunity to control the flow of the material to the spinner. If you want your throw to be let's say 15 feet but you want a heavier or lighter material application within that pattern, you simply adjust the auger feeding the spinner.

We love the 1875 for that reason.

10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

salt dogg makes an auger horizontal feed tailgate spreader that will run bagged or bulk.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Only three accounts? Sub out the salting till you find a great deal on a barely used unit.

12. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah only three accounts that require salt....I've been pushing for people to get salt, but no one wants it til they have a slip and fall I guess. I've been looking at used ones.

Now with my new information I have, I can really look.

Thanks for all the helpful input guys....be safe out there.

13. Tractor Tidy

Tractor Tidy Junior Member
    from IN

SnowEx SP575

I'd recommend the SnowEx SP575 tailgate spreader. it will hold 460lbs. or @ 9 bags (50lb.) It is a good beginning spreader but is heavy enough to do more jobs and expand with. Comes standard w/ a poly cover and has a variable rate controller Plugs into your 2" reciever and hard wired to truck.. It retails for $1,399 + shipping.

I sell and have in stock.