1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowpusher tim, May 11, 2010.

1. snowpusher tim

snowpusher tim Junior Member
    from MN

I am in need of a v-box spreader for the upcoming season. My HOA wants salt with every push.

I plow with a F250 ext cab and short cab. What kind of spreader would you recommend? BTW, my Blizzard power plow works great, love it.

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

How much salt per run do you expect to average? And do you mean short box?

3. snowpusher tim

from MN

Yes, I did mean short box.

I figure 10 ton, give or take a touch.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

10 Ton per storm....Thats a nice size HOA....Look at Snow-Ex.They make all sorts of sizes in a V-Box....

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

10 tons, how many trucks do you have plowing. It is going to take a few loads to put down 10 tons with a small salter.

6. snowpusher tim

from MN

well, the HOA is around 5 ton, but with the other lots I figure 2-5 more tons. You guys say Snow Ex? I hear they make good spreaders.

7. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i am looking to sell my last snow ex. we have had bad luck with the 5 we had. i switched over to the salt dogg stainless steel electric chain drive. had not had a problem with it yet. (i know a lot of guys say the controlers suck but mine have been fine) good luck

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i want it! you're in michigan?! ill pick it up, where you at? pm me and ill take a look at it!

9. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

How much did you pay for the ss dogg. I've ran the 2 yard polly for years now and may have to replace this year and am curious the ups and downs to the electric ss chain drive. Buy it at Angelos?

10. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

I think it was in the $4k range but don't remember for sure. Angelos was sold out so got mine from b and b in byron center

11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Got a WESTERN and like it. But it is the only salter i ever had. So i cant say much about the others.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cv2fzVQLRY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cv2fzVQLRY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMNFqwiLBT0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMNFqwiLBT0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

10 tons per storm, I'd be looking at a dedicated salt truck... Of course, if you have the ability to load and store salt very close to your customer properties, you can use pretty much any spreader and just make more trips. We just upgraded to a larger truck for spreading salt due to the distance to the supplier to cut down on the number of trips...

13. 3311

3311 Senior Member

We just purchased 3- more Western tornado 2.5 yard spreaders. They work great.

14. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a way to load a bulk spreader? or a decent all hours supplier within reasonable distance? There's no way you'd need a dedicated truck to spread 10 tons if you have resonable distances involved, ours are spreading between 12-25T per(5-6 trucks) storm depending upon how many rounds of salt we do in a given storm.......If you're using a 250 you will be severely limited in the amount you can carry, I hope you have a spot very local for a bin.....

15. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Also consider a back up plan if the spreader goes down during a storm.

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Check out SnowEx

I have had excellent service out of my snowex spreaders. I run five of their spreaders and are very happy. They offer a 7550 and a 8500 that will get the job done for you.

17. snowbandit

snowbandit Junior Member

hey man if you have a way to load it get a 1 ton dump truck and you have a choice but a tail gate or v-box spreader then you can make money with the truck in the other months when its not snowing then you dont bust up you good truck i you 2 f550 when going in to hoa never had any problems with them and they have so many uses and pay for them selfs fast the drivers love them because they are just the right size to do about anything and the best part is saves my f250, i have them both rigged out with v-boxs and meyers 8.5 foot plows i like the flat beds becasue i can put the snow blowers up on both sides of the v-boxes and shovels the whole crew can go out in two trucks

18. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

I have a 05 f250 supercab shortbed and i put a tornado (Gen 2) 1.5 last year and love it. If you already have a blizzard plow u can get thier version of the tornado, i think its called ice chaser.