1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt spreader that uses intact bags

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mik1319, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mik1319

mik1319 Junior Member

I have seen a spreader on line that uses bags placed on end which are then pushed by a ram to the rear. The bags then hit cutters and are dumped into a conveyor then to the spreader. does anyone know the name of or where to find more info on this type of spreader.

Thanks, Mike
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

so does it spread the bags all shreddedup as well??? sounds expensive if it doesn't...
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sounds like an expensive mess to me. And hazardous.
  4. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I have seen these for hydroseeding but never salt and it pulled hte bag out the side did not shred it. I am interested and will look around.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think it was called the buzz box and produced by the blizzard people I beleive. Someone on one of the forums as a couple.
  6. mik1319

mik1319 Junior Member

The bags get stacked at the rear of the spreader if i remember the video correctly. As for hazardous, the blades were fixed and set back with a shroud over top. It would be great to hear from anybody who has this set up
  7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Basher is correct, just saw a buzz box at Jerres Service in Erie PA last friday.

8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, it's called a buzz box. And it's slick as snot! I've been running an all-stainless unit for the last 2 years (this will be year #3) and have been more than happy. It can run bulk or bags, no mess with the bags, no shredded bags, etc, just good clean salt out the spreader and a bunch of empty bags. The blades can be dangerous, but they're mounted down low inside the unit, and there's a flap that covers them when the door is open, so you'd have to be an idiot to hurt yourself on them. I installed a prewet system on mine, all custom setup with a custom mounted tank, pump, etc.

Unfortunately, they were very short lived, I ordered and received one of the first production models, and it is believed there are less than a dozen that made it out the door (mine being the only stainless one) before they halted production due to health issues of the company's owner. They were designed by the company out of Calumet, MI that designed and manufactured the Blizzard Plow before being sold to DD. There's been talk by some of acquiring the patent and starting produce them again, but nothing's happened as of yet.

I'll try to find some pics and post them. But just FYI, it's only going to tease you, since you can't get them, as they're no longer being produced. It's a shame, because I'd like to buy another. :cry:
  9. flykelley

Im sure Jerre is willing to part with the one sitting in his yard. It looks like its new.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i want to see a video of this thing action.
  11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I highly doubt that. I want Wiz's stainless one, but I know he'd never part with it.
  12. wizardsr

Got that right, you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands! Then you'll have to fight my wife for it for what I've got into it. :rolleyes:
  13. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

anyone got pics or a video????
  14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yeah what he said!

I've heard of them but thought they were an urban legend. I want to see this thing.
  15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

There used to be a real nice video on their website but the site is gone now.
  16. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Wow i am impressed. This thing has completely disappeared from the intranet :( i have tried searching everywhere. Cant even find a pic. I still have a pamphlet on it that i got from the EXPO a few years ago though. Thing is awesome.
  17. flykelley

Oh Jerre is always willing to part with anything in is yard if the price is right. If someone wanted one bad enough Im sure it could be bought. Remember he did the Betta testing on that unit and I know he is not using it to deice because he doesn't plow.

18. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

ok i found some pics. Took some digging :D

This thing is freaking sweet. I really wish someone would start making it again. They had a leaf box with a loader for it and a special tailgate for rock and mulch. So it would be dual purpose.

blizzard bag spikes.jpg

blizzard engine.jpg

blizzard bag pusher.jpg

Buzz box install peter 045.jpg
  19. mik1319

mik1319 Junior Member

Pretty sure this is the one I saw. It would be nice if someone started making em again having to load bags once would be great. Thanks guys for all the info and pics. Im going to talk to a fab guy about making something similar just in case I ever find a couple extra thousand layin around

Thanks again
  20. wizardsr

These pics are of an old prototype unit, these were tested and tossed. The bags line up the other way now, and fixed razors are used instead of a spinning drum that shreds the bottom of the bags. It's all electric also, the one in the pics had a briggs (I think) pony motor. I'll work on some pics, they're here somewhere...