1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader- tailgate vs box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by amazingblades, Nov 18, 2014.

1. amazingblades

amazingblades Junior Member

Looking for information on tailgate and vbox spreaders and which would be the best set up for our operation.

All contracts call for 100% ice melt (no rock salt) on lot and sidewalks. We need to spread around 4 ton bagged ice melt per storm this season. Previous years we haven't had as much to spread. They were done with push spreaders on sidewalks and a few small commercial lots. Dealers for snow removal equipment are generally at least 3 hours from my location.

After a search I wasn't able to find the information I was looking for. Most post suggest using bulk rock in a box spreader but I don't have that option with our accounts or a bulk supplier in my area.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you spreading? What's ice melt

3. amazingblades

It's a calcium chloride, magnesium chloride blend.

4. dieselss

Ok. Then how are you getting your product, you never said. And what type of equipment do you have?

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Where you from

6. amazingblades

Pallets of 50lb bags. I have a 3/4 gas or 1 ton diesel I can mount a spreader to.

7. amazingblades

Southwest Missouri

8. Antlerart06

A tail gate spreader would work but 4 tons per storm will take for ever to load by hand

Get you a Box and pre load it before the storm might get 2 pallets worth in it

How did you come up with your spread rate ?

9. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

How many lots is that four ton split between. If your lots don't require any more than 500-700 lbs per lot I would go tailgate. I have a 1075 SnowEx Pivot Pro that swings away to open tailgate. Almost all my lots take around 500 lbs each (ten bags) so I just reload after each lot. I keep a pallet at a time in truck. How far is your shop from these sites. Will it be time consuming to have to go get another pallet?

10. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I will assume you will be using bagged product. As your per storm requirement is enough to use a small truck bed spreader and just fill by hand, I see you are in Missouri. I had to go to tailgate spreaders because I would prepare and load for storms and they would bypass us. So now, unload the spreader so it does not freeze up, which is a waste of time and money, and for me it was a waste of product because I bought by the load rather than store on site.

I just bought a Saltdogg TGSo7, mainly for the 18 bag capacity. So far looks well built. I will compare this closely with the Snowex units I have used for several years.

11. amazingblades

Spread rate was calculated off the product recomendation.

12. Antlerart06

You will find out that isn't always true once you get some seat time with a truck spreader But is a good place to start

13. dieselss

So what equipment do you have to use? Lifts, mobile equipment type things?

14. amazingblades

One lot will take close to 2000lbs, two others will be 1000-1200lbs each, the rest are 500-700lbs per lot. If I go the tailgate option I can load a pallet in the truck. Load the others on skid steer trailer that will always be close by. We can take forks to load truck when needed.

15. amazingblades

On the low or high side?

16. amazingblades

2 plow trucks, 1 truck with salt spreader, skid steer with plow and forks handy on a 30ft gooseneck trailer.

17. Antlerart06

How big is the lot that takes a ton of Icemelt

18. amazingblades

The lot is 4 acres.

19. Antlerart06

You got it figure about right
    I have been at 350-400lbs per acre I don't run Icemelt till Temps gets to 0
    On walks I run it all the time
    A little goes a long ways on well scrape lots Now pack down lots it takes a higher rate

20. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd be pretty tempted to buy a Salt Dogg 3/4 yard spreader personally. Load it up, and you should be able to keep another 10 bags around it to get to your 2000 pounds for the 1 lot, then 4 more loadings will get you through the rest.

Plus, you're not locked in to the tailgate spreader only and if the opportunity presents its self for bulk salt or bulk ice melt in the future you can easily handle it.