1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader switch smoking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by turfcarelawns, Feb 10, 2015.

1. turfcarelawns

turfcarelawns Member

I have a Smith Spreader that we wired with a Western wire harness. We wired it to a toggle switch, my issue is that I have gone through 8 switches so far this year. They keep melting and burning up. I need advice on how to fix this problem. I looked for a controller for this spreader but have had no luck. I have the controller for the Western spreader but it keeps tripping as soon as I would start it, this is the reason for using a toggle switch.

2. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Is the amp rating of the switch large enough to handle the spreader? Did you investigate why the controller was tripping out?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Crazyboy is probably right and you have an inadequate amp capacity switch. Could be you need to install a relay in the system if you can't upgrade the switch.

How many amps is the spreader pulling?

What model Smith is it?

What model Western control?

Are you trying to use a Pro-Flow controller to drive a .5 horse electric motor?

4. turfcarelawns

turfcarelawns Member

i got it figured out today. My switch came right from my battery so it was getting too many amps. I got it to my solinoide now and it is running much better.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That doesn't make any sense, the battery will never puts out anymore amperage than the load requests. Overloading a switch happens on the draw side of the circuit not the supply side.

Have you tested your fix under load? The system draws a lot less amperage running without any load.

6. turfcarelawns

turfcarelawns Member

I took my old wire harness off. And wired my switch to the solenoid correctly. My issue was that the guy who installed it used my western pro-flow wire harness and added a switch to it. I used my spreader this morning for 4 hours and had no issues.

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

This is what I would have said too.

Glad you fixed it though !!! It does not take many amps to run a solenoid my swithches are light duty.

8. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

My guess is you had a short or something causing you to draw more than the switch could handle.