1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader summer protection??????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by a1land, Mar 25, 2009.

1. a1land

a1land Junior Member

Does anybody know of a chemical that is similar to under coating that you can spray on the spreaders then take it off in the fall with paint thinner or mineral spirits. It is suppose to protect the conveyor etc. for the summer.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film!!!!

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

After FF....coat it with more FF.
    Best stuff around.

4. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i use two products from Rohmar Industries. First a salt neutralizer and then a product called lubriseal. works very well. in the fall the chains are not frozen.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Clean it with Salt-a-way then coat it in Fluid Film.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never tried salt away but I'm curious. I have a salter that is a 1980 that I bought in 1990 and it was rotted out in places back then so we rebuilt it and we've used it ever since. All we use to use was used oil and we'd bath it in every spring after a good wash. Then about 7 years ago I started using rust check that worked well and now I'm using FF on all our trucks, tractors, plows and spreaders. The fluid film last a little longer then the rust check and we really like it.

7. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

The only thing we ever used was used oil. All of our salters, plows, and blowers were soaked in used oil.
    Since being on this forum I have heard a lot about Fluid film and have used it to loosen anything that was ceased. I think this spring we will soak everything in F.F

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Great stuff, even removes the white flexs from the black matte trim on the trucks, excellent for anything used in the salt water also. My BiL uses it on all his surf fishing gear, and washes his carharts in it after fishing the head boats in the winter. He says it stops the zippers from rusting out. It's great for keeping the bright work and trim on the boat clean and shiny.

9. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Used oil thats what we use

10. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

So after all the talk on here about FF I coated everything EXCEPT the front of my plow with it. Here is my opinion:
    1. After a month everything still looks great, no rust starting anywhere.
    2. I really like the way it smells!