1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by me!, Oct 25, 2009.

1. me!

me! Member

We have 1 property that is 4 acres of salting, and 4-6 other small lots that will need salted.

Our average winter is 20ish salt apps.

I guess a v-box would be the best option, but only having 1 unit scares me. Not having a back-up is not the way i like to work. So my question is. Would it be insane of me to get 2 larger hitch mounted spreaders instead of a v-box.

The largest of the places is about 5 min from the shop where the salt (bulk) will be. i'm thinking both trucks would work together on that one before we go hit the other properties. If it changes anything i can have the salt on the property if i wanted to.

what do you think?
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

IMO you should have a back up
  3. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

when there is no back up things break. but I have had few problems with spreaders breaking if they are fairly new.
  4. 04bluediesel

04bluediesel Junior Member
    from Ohio

Purchase what you can afford. I like the idea of having 2 large hitch mounted ones. Thats what I use (Western 1000) and have had good luck so far.
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

If you can afford it go with a v box. That way you only need one truck to get the job done.
    Thats a huge savings over time. If you really want to be safe buy a tailgate spreader as a backup.