1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mpriester, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Hi everyone, i'm going to be spreading 2700lb of salt everytime i make a run and i will get tired of loading my Western 1000 so what i'm asking is what spreader do you recommend for a 2500hd 6.5' bed in either a v box or tailgate mount. I am using bulk salt. Thank You

2. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt dogg 1.5 yd vbox

3. Philc

Philc Junior Member

I just bought a 3/4 yard salt dogg today $2399.50 plus 160.00 shipped to my door, the 1.5 yrd salt dogg is $400 more plus a little extra shipping. shoot me an email or call four zero two 310 2513 or Philcws699@gmail.com i'll give you the details.

4. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have a nice 7ft long stainless steel vbox that will work perfectly in that truck. Hey Philc, where you located and where are rhose prices at?

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

What to use

You could use a SnowEX 7550 on that truck. We did it and worked fine. You could also use a tailgate spreader model 1875. That spreader has an auger so it will spread bulk material as well. We run several of them.

Good luck on your choice.

6. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I used a 3/4 salt dogg just to have some the ability to have salt on my truck in a pinch and wish I had gotten the snow ex for that truck instead, more $$ around here though.

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i will probably go with the sno ex. a little more money but i feel they are worth it. Thanks Guys

8. bubbles10

bubbles10 Member

i know people around here who have nothing but problems with snoex

9. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

dogg 2000payup

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

whithout getting into the legalities, that's going to be a heavy load on that truck when loaded.

11. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

second season with the salt dogg poly elec. cant say enough good things. I use a 50/50 mix. straight salt would flow easier i believe. spread heavier to one side. homemade spinner mod cured that issue. lots of threads on this subjet. good luck

12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Buyers V Box Spreader SCH072SS, 1.3 cu. yd. 72" Stainless Steel Hopper Spreader, Std. Chute

13. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I made my mind up. Iam going to go with a 1.5 yarder as this storm alone i spread 7 ton using my western 1000 in 2 days and i feel it and they are forecasting another 2 to 4 in the next 24 hours. i probably won't get it until this coming summer as several local sales places run sales on left overs and if i can save a couple bucks i will and besides i want to add a couple leaf springs in ths back which will help with the extra weight of the spreader and a ton of salt. Thanks Guys for the help.

14. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I didnt read the above messages, but did anyone mention that you risk destroying your 3/4 ton hauling around a loaded 1.5 yd salter? Leaf springs are only the start. You need to worry about your frame brakes axles and transmission too. I don't see a 3/4 carrying around 3300lb of material plus a 650lb spreader and lasting too long...

15. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

No one mentioned that but maybe i'm better off using a 3/4 yarder i'm not out to break my truck. With the weight of the spreader and salt it should put me around a ton and i see no reason it can't handle that. Thank You Sir

16. SullivanSeptic

Lots of guys do it. I have a shpe 2000 in my short bed duramax 2500. Wideout out front. I have air bags on rear.

17. SullivanSeptic

Lots of guys do it. I have a shpe 2000 in my short bed duramax 2500. Wideout out front. I have air bags on rear.

18. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

And from what I've read, more than a few of you guys running 2500 duras have cracked frames without running any plow equipment at all..... And just because people do it, doesn't mean its the right thing to do. If you want to haul one ton, buy a one ton, not a 3/4 ton.

19. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

if this truck can't handle 1 ton in the bed its not worth the metal its made with. i will probably go with a 3/4 yarder which would put it right around 2000lb loaded and i'm only carrying a 700lb plow which the truck don't really notice. my route is very close to my house so loading it is not an issue. i have hauled a ton in half ton trucks with no issues at all you just had to be careful. from what i have read the main differences between a 3/4 and 1 ton is the tire and wheel size which i took care of and a leaf on each side in the rear and its got the 4800lb front axle, drive train and frame is the same between the 2 but if i am wrong please enlighten me. Thank You

20. SullivanSeptic

Frames are not just cracking in guys. Some of the older chevys had frame gusset issues, but thats not from weight in the bed. And a one ton doesn't solve the issue. Same frame and axles on a one.