1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreader Problem

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tonylillo, Oct 20, 2011.

1. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

Here my problem I have a dodge 1500 with a cap on a 6 ft bed. For snow removal aside from plowing, I have to haul my 24" snow blower in the bed. i also need to mount a salt spreader on the hitch. Once the spreader is mounted I cannot drop the tail gate to get the snow blower out. If the spreader is loaded with a couple of 50 pound bags of salt, will be almost impossible to remove.

I was thinking about buying a swing away spreader but I understand they are impossible to mount if you have a cap on the truck.

Any suggestions

Thanks, Tony

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Take the cap off

3. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

Taking off the cap is not an option

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Why is it not an option.

5. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

The cap has side compartments that have all of my tools stored in them, for my other job, it would be to much of a hassle to unload, I have no other place to carry them.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you need another truck then.

7. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

HaHa yeah I agree, let me tell my wife that one, hope you have a spare room so i can bunk there

8. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

i have a solution, all of my jobs are very local so I will plow and clean with the snow blower and then come home put the spreader on and go back to the accounts and salt

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I think that the Buyers hitch mounted spreader has a pin that you can pull to tilt the spreader down enough to open the tail gate. It would still be in the way if you had to get anything big out or in the truck but at least you could access the bed.
    Also, I wouldn't leave a couple of 50lb bags worth of salt in the hopper for any length of time as the salt seems to turn to rock with the moisture in the air.
    1 last thing, I dont carry anything bigger than a small Toro in the bed, It does sidewalks great and I can easily throw it in and out of the truck as needed, I dont even need to lower the tail gate

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  10. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I dont think a away is going to help you much either. You will not be able to swing a loaded spreader if that is what your thinking. The swing away would be tricky to mount with a cap on. Im sure you could do it with some modification though. Good luck.

11. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

spreader mount

just an idea but you can make a hitch mounted swing away mount for the spreader that swing's to the side .:salute:

12. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

I have found 2 Buyers spreaders, the TGSuv1B and the TGSUVPROA. The 1B unit looks like it has a tilt down hinge but I am not sure if the PROA has this same litl down hinge. Anyone familure with either of these 2 units.

13. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

spreader mount

yes the pro can tilt down but it better be empty first ! or you will never get it uo buy your self .
    it will work but not the sturdyist system ,but you get what you pay for .