1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreader not working ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bigboss1977, Nov 8, 2012.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

I have a buyers salt spreader the hitch mount one. I hooked it up today and the motor wouldn't come on. The control turned on just fine. I tested the connections with a meter and it was any where between 90 - 120 V.

What should the voltage read ?

I'm guessing it's the motor - I realize these aren't the best salt spreader but for the few lots I salt it has worked great in the past years.

Is there a way to test the motor ?

Whats the best place to get a motor for it? Website ? I wouldn't mind getting a new controller for it as well do I have to get another buyers controller? Where would I find one at? website?

Thanks

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

There is NO POSSIBLE way you had 120 volts!

3. bigboss1977

from Utah

yeah the meter kept jumping.....it went from I think 15 - 25 - then jumped again from 80 to 115.

I'm not the best when it comes to electrical testing and and couldn't see the settings on the meter very good need to get a new meter.

What should it be at for volts ?

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck should not be putting out more than about 15 volts. So if your getting readings as high as 120 volts, you either have your meter set on the wrong setting, and your testing mili volts, or your meter is junk. The only other option I can think of would be your motor is frozen. Did you try to spin it by hand with no power going through the controler? If it is free and able to spin, run direct power from your battery to the motor, and see if it works. If it does work, your controller is junk. If it doesn't work then your motor is junk. Good luck.

5. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah I must have had it on a wrong setting...thanks for the tips I'll give them a try.

6. bigboss1977

from Utah

It actually measured 8.02 v doesn't that seem a little low? Doesn't the motor need at least 12 V to operate? Would this be a controller problem? Will any salter controller work. This one doesn't have a vibrator is only the speed control, on/off and blast.

7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

8 volts will waste the motor. Very quickly. I would check for corrosion in the power harness, then the grounds.

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a snow ex controller running a boss spreader. It has been this way for at least 3 full seasons and last year. Works great, so I don't see why you would have any problems if you need to change controllers. I would check your harness as mentioned above first, or check the output st the controller. Check it with the spinner on the fastest setting.

9. bigboss1977

from Utah

Thanks I see a lot of different controllers online to buy and it seems like everyone (boss, snowex have there own prices. The salter I have is just a cheap older buyers. It's worked great for what I use it for (smaller fast food lots)....well until now anyways....lol I may just decide to get me a half way decent salter if this one is going to cost me all kinds of money.

10. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Do some troubleshooting before you go buy parts. You could have corrosion somewhere causing resistance.

11. bigboss1977

from Utah

Thanks everyone for the tips and help. Ended up having some corrosion to the wires which end up breaking and disintegrated to nothing. Got that fixed and thought it I was good to go but the motor still wouldn't spin.

Hooked the motor up to the battery and it was fine.

So turned out to be a controller problem and other problems also.

Until I figure out if I want to buy a new salter or just replace the controller I hooked up a light switch in light box so it at least works....It's ghetto fabious but hey it at least works now. :D

12. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Try using a household light dimmer controller. It works great for speed control. It works in a pinch. We did it.

13. bigboss1977

from Utah

I almost picked one up thinking it would work but I wasn't sure. So thanks for heads up on that. I'd like to get a new salter but funds are a little tight with no snow this way yet.