1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt spreader motors.....

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Brian Young, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My Meyer's salt spreader finally went ka-put after 3 years. I didn't do a lot of salting so I only went with a mini jr. but now we do a lot of salting and this will be the last year for this unit. The motor was very weak last year and I finally took it all apart and its shot. A new motor for the "Meyer's" unit is $268.00 but I've seen a bunch on E-bay for around $115.00, has anyone ever used these units from E-bay? If so how do they work and do they have enough power like the original "Meyer's" did when it was new. Thanks in advance.

JKOOPERS Senior Member

yeah i bought one last year. my original one lasted 6 years.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My "uncle-in-law", I guess thats what he would be to me lol rebuilds electric motors and I didnt know that so I just took it to him. He said it was trashed, thats probably why I blew out the controller last season. But he rebuilt it and sealed it with epoxy, so it should be good for at least a few years.