1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader motor help

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by guitargeek3000, Dec 12, 2009.

1. guitargeek3000

guitargeek3000 Junior Member

Ok so I got a used salt spreader for $100 plus he gave me the wiring harness and speed controller. Its a meyers salter. I tested the motor with a 12v battery and it works but the problem is it works when I connect the positive to either side.

So my question is, which side is the correct positive side?

The motor is old looking and I cant find any markings as to which is which. Looking at the bottom of the motor there are 4 recessed areas on the corners. Two of these have wire terminals two dont.

Lets say that the empty recesses are along the top and the two with terminals are along the bottom. Which one is positive, right or left side?

[​IMG]

2. guitargeek3000

bump

Hey I need to get this up and running asap. bump bump bump...

3. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

It might be a reversible motor. When you switched the positive from your battery did the motor spin the oppisite direction?

4. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

5. guitargeek3000

I have the manual but it only shows the side view of the motor and then the rest of the wiring diagram. Cool, but I need to know which one is pos and which is neg when they are no longer labeled.

The motor does work both ways which direction should it spin?

6. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

What is your model # I'll see if I can help.

7. guitargeek3000

Honestly I dont know. I cant find a model number on the thing anywhere. I just found a general manual online that shows how to wire the controller and ect.

It shows a picture of the motor from the side and says just hook the pos to the pos and neg to the neg. (common sense but you know)

So Being that mine arent labeled anymore I hooked it up both ways and it spun both times.

Now I'm about to just put salt in and try it both ways. Im sure one way will throw salt away from the truck and the other will through towards it right?

8. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Sounds right to me. I don't think you can hurt the motor so hook it up and if you don't like the way it throws change the wires around and see if it is any better. The only other thing I can say is to take the motor apart and see where the wires run.

9. guitargeek3000

Ok cool Ill just try both ways. Thanks for the thoughts.

10. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Let me know how it works out.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The motors will run in either direction and depends on the application, thats why they're not labeled specifically. Just depends on who's and what spreader it's going on.

Look in the hopper and you'll see which way it needs to turn to feed correctly. That's the direction the motor needs to turn, thus thats the way you want the connections.

12. guitargeek3000

13. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have an older Meyer spreader with the motor hanging from the bottom. It will spin no matter how you wire it ,but you want it to spin clockwise if you are looking down into the hopper. So I just look at the way it spins and wire it accordingly. Mine isn't marked either.

14. guitargeek3000

Sweet thanks Smitty, that helps a ton.

15. guitargeek3000

Got it working and it was actually really easy to figure out. One of the terminals is slightly bigger than the other. The bigger one was the positive and the smaller was the neg. Drilled a hole in the bumper to attach the negative and ran the positive up to my speed controller. Thing is working like a charm. Thanks for the help!