1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader manual recommends oiling shaft of spreader motor?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by indplstim, Jan 1, 2013.

1. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

What type of oil or lube should I use? All it said was to oil shaft after use to decrease chance of motor seizing. No other info in the manual. Any ideas? Btw its a meyer blaster 750s, the motor is exposed on the bottom of the spreader. Dont really like this configuration, but I was in the market for a new spreader and this was an awesome deal on a brand new spreader for around half price. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. liveonafarm

liveonafarm Junior Member
    from maine

personally i would put equipment grease on it. im no expert on sanders but thats my first thought to use grease.
  3. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Fogger oil or WD40 is what I believe they advise, its mostly to displace moisture and keep the shaft from corroding.

Grease would be more likely to attract grit from sand/salt and keep it there.
  4. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Anyone else have any ideas? Amsoil has fogger oil for $7 a can in an aerosol spray on their website, might try that out. Im guessing fluid film would work as well. Wd40 isnt good for plastic or rubber or whatever wouldnt want to damage any seals or anything.
  5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I have no reason to think that WD40 is bad for plastic/rubber/seals, but it sure isn't good for preventing corrosion. The fastest way to make a bike chain turn to rust is to spray it with WD40. WD40 efficiently removes all the protective oil/grease/dirt/whatever and then disappears leaving clean, bare, unprotected metal.

I bet almost any light oil would be good. If I understand what part you're talking about it comes in direct contact with material and the idea is to protect it from corrosion between uses and have the protection get scraped away by the first pound of material you spread the next time.

I wonder if an aerosol dry teflon/silicone lube would offer sufficient protection and less mess than an oil.
  6. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

yea wd40 is more of a solvent/cleaner it will remove any oil or grease. Some people say it will cause rubber or plastic seals to become brittle and wear our faster. I dont have any experience with this occurring, but I cant say it doesnt, would rather not find out on my $400 motor. Either way it isnt a lubricant.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'd use Fluid Film!!!!!!!