1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader help for my ford 250 pickup

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mrsops, May 24, 2012.

1. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Hey guys im looking into getting a new salt spreader for my f-250 pickup truck with a 6' bed.. I really want to get something that i can get atleast yard and a half or two yards. I have a 4.5 yard smith salt spreader which is electric that we all seem to like alot.

I called up a few places seems that the western tornado specs out well but i havent heard great things about them. I also priced out a new smith but they only come in 1 yard. Looking for some help on what can be the best bet and what you guys are using..

I also have 2 yard monroe hydraulic spreader that works very well to. But im looking for something for my pick up and it has to be electric..
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok well the main issue is the 250 rear suspension. A one yard is iffy on stock stuff we have snow ex
  3. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

The rear suspension is the killer for you.
    had a 1.2 yd polycaster on a truck when I worked for another company and we couldn't even fill it over 3/4 and the thing drove like a boat it was so bad.
  4. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

I was told to but helper springs??
  5. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

you could try timbrens or something of that nature, I don't remember off the top of my head what the axle is rated at for weight, but that would be something to look at aswell.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not to mention being a short bed,,,,, gonna have a hard time finding one that would fit
  7. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Looked at my 04 F250 ext. cab short bed.
    Can take a payload of 3300-3600 lbs, I think it was (already forgot)
    so with average spreader being about 1,000 lbs. you could get right around a 1yd spreader.
    and when you drive with it loaded your going to hate it.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I put heavy duty springs on my f-250, and hav no issues with my 8ft spreader, one backhoe bucket fills it up and the truck handles it great
  9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

1.5-2 yds in a shortbox isn't going to happen, so step 1 is to get past that, it simply won't fit. The only machine even close would be a buzz box that can handle 1.5 yds (filled to the brim) in a shortbox, but they're not making them currently, and the future of them is unknown. It may be possible to add extensions to a 1yd v-box, but then you'll get very unstable/top heavy being a SRW.

As far as weight, an F250 super duty can handle a 1 yard v-box and a ton of salt, it's essentially the same as a 1 ton but with lighter springs. Add air bags if it sags too much for your liking and she'll handle great! Make sure you have E rated tires though, some people put lighter duty tires on these trucks (typically mud or some AT tires). My buzz box spreader can handle about 1.5 tons of salt, and I've had it loaded with over 2 tons of rock, plus the weight of the machine being 1000lbs, it certainly pushes the limits of what you can do with a short box 1 ton SRW, and there's no way in heck you'd catch me trying to plow with that much weight in it, but it can be done. The buzz box is now on a 1 ton dually, and it's a world of difference, I much prefer it on that truck over the SRW pickup.

To the OP, buy a bigger truck if you want to run a 1.5-2 yd unit (Smith and AirFlo both make very nice 1.8yd dual electric units) you're going to need an 8' bed and heavier rear springs/air bags, a dually would be better.
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  10. LON

LON Senior Member

11. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

Have a one ton f 350 super duty dually with 6.4 powerstroke.We use Westerns Tornado's.An awesome spreader 1.5 electric latest generation from Western. STAY AWAY FROM GAS ENGINES ! The tornado linehas seen many changes. No issue's.
  12. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have a 1 yard smith/harder on a f250. it's great but no more than 1 yard will fit(2 skidsteer buckets). The biggest problem is weight. 1 yard of salt plus the sander and plow you are over weight by 1600lbs. I know we all do it but it's about being legal right.Thumbs Up
  13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx 7550

We run SnowEx's 7550 on an F250 and it works fine. It holds 1.4 yards of material and we've had no problems.
  14. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Improve the suspension and there are poly options for a 1-1.5 but forget about 1000lb vbox the weights are to much when loaded. for your truck.
    Adding a set of leafs allows for 1000lbs extra. I have timbrens on a 3/4 but I don't salt with it and seriously doubt I would push it much further than poly with 1 yard if I added leafs. But I'm no mechanic, there are some on here that are awesome with suspension and working the numbers. Big concerns are tire and axle rating despite suspension they are not fluid numbers.