1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader hanging up..

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by jlouki01, Dec 15, 2007.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I have a Snow Way 9cu ft hitch pin spreader. Bought it used off a buddy of mine the other day.

If it sits a bit ( 15-20 minutes ) loaded with salt it will jam up and overload the control box.

If I get and work the spreader wheel back and fourth it will work but it doesn't seem to be broadcasting the salt. It's just kinda falling out..

Any suggestions?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. chazg33

chazg33 Member

had the same problem last year on a brand new one ,like thread before check tension first,make sure when your done salting close the handle for the salt release,when i was traveling from lot to lot,would have the same problem the water would start to freeze the small opening with salt at the spinner,because i left open..i used a bent metal rod to brake loose to start,also keep your 2 bearings greased ,specialy the bottom one all the water spray from the truck splashs on that bearing and rusts up FAST,,,i also made a cover to box that channel up to keep the salt and water off bearing ,used about 10 times this year and no problems,,hope this can help,thanks.

4. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

like said above. grease your bearings. upper and lower. i didn't even see the upper zerk/bearing and didn't grease it for a couple years. after i greased it it stopped that problem.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can replace the lower brass/steel bearing with the new poly "bearing" part #99108409

You can't replace the upper bearing, so just grease it well. It dosn't suffer the abuse the lower bearing

It is number 33 on the parts drawing
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner_Parts Manuals/97100981c.pdf

A very reliable source told me it's even better if you grease it. Just drill a hole and add a grease fitting to the poly.

6. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I took it off for now and put my Meyer back on. It's been snowing and icy past few days no time to really mess with. I will look at it tomorrow and see if I can see the grease fittings. This unit is maybe a half season old. Looks brand new. Would like to keep it if I can get the thing to work right.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look at the drawings on the link. It will show you the location of the fittings.