1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt spreader control box

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Artknoxious, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Artknoxious

Artknoxious Junior Member

Hi Guys, anybody had probs with the power rocker switch failing on their spreaders?? I had my partner have two boxes fail. After a little research found a comparable switch to replace it with. Modified it, installed it and it works fine. Just wondering if this is a common prob with these control boxes. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Art

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

this only happened on the older style which you cannot get anymore, after the mod your refering to it won't happen again.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm assuming this happens on the fisher version as well.....what model is it? I just bought a used one and want to know if mine is in that group

4. nickr42

nickr42 Junior Member

I just had my Fisher box looked at today, it wasn't powering up!
    I guess Western which owns Fisher has stop making the old style boxs and are replacing them with new model box...$300.00 bucks they told me...

My old box has 2 numbers on the front, they are: 9027 and 66596, and on the back it says 3702. I was told they will only last a short time before the boards or switch flake out...

If anyone knows were to get a new Western control box cheap/discounted, let me know?payup

The pic is the old style..

fisher box.jpg

5. Grn Mtn

6. Grn Mtn

Western does not own Fisher, Blizzard Western and Fisher are all under the watchfull eye of Douglas Dynamics.:salute:

oh yeah, click my email link and email me....

7. mcwlandscaping

8. Grn Mtn

take the top off of yours and compare:D if same than the same:rolleyes:

sorry, I didn't have a pict with the shell on.....

9. mcwlandscaping

Will do tonight when i go pick the thing up!!! thanks!

10. mcwlandscaping

yup, ive got that one!!! :(

11. nickr42

nickr42 Junior Member

Fixed it !!

Well, I went to Radio Shack today to try and find a switch and while I was looking at the inside of the box I noticed there was a Automotive relay in it and radio Shack sold them, So I said what the hell I'll try to replace it. Guess what !! It works now and best of all it cost $5.00. :redbounce

I can't keep from wondering if the dealer knew. They told me that box could not be fixed. :realmad: Wrong! !!

12. mcwlandscaping

dumb question, what is an automotive relay, or better yet, what does it look like and where in the box is it? So what you are saying is just change that and you dont' need a new switch?

13. nickr42

nickr42 Junior Member

It's the little back box that is in the control box that all the wires are leading into ..Does that help. All I know is that I replaced it and it works now....

14. nickr42

nickr42 Junior Member

It's under the white and red wires.

cbox.JPG

15. mcwlandscaping

thank you very much!!! while i'm at radio shack on wed. getting the few things i need to wire up my spreader ill be sure to bring the controller and get one of those to have on hand just in case!!!

16. nickr42

nickr42 Junior Member

Switch Fix...

Here is the switch fix I received from Fisher tech. Any ?'s just call Fisher and talk to Brian Dobbs in tech support. You can buy this swich at Home depot or radio shack.

Hope this helps save some cash for some of you guys.payup

switch fix.jpg