1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Spreader and fertilizer spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by allstarlawncare, Sep 23, 2012.

1. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

Can a push spreader be used for both applications? I am going to be salting a small lot and the sidewalks this year at the lot but I want a spreader that i can use for seed and fertilizer as well. Any input is appreciated.

Recommendations for spreaders would be awesome too!
  2. shane-pa

shane-pa Junior Member

I used a Earthway push spreader last year for a sidewalk. I was able to spread pellets without a problem. I would think rock salt might be to big to flow and would get clogged. You might want to look into smaller salt specific spreaders for your application.
  3. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

Most all spreaders have adjustments to open the chute for various size material. Open the chute to the largest number and they will work fine with rock salt. Make sure you wash the spreader down after every use or it won't be good for anything come spring.
  4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member