1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Situation

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by YBRT, Feb 27, 2009.

1. YBRT

YBRT Junior Member

How is everyone’s current salt situation? Availability and price?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't a clue what the going rate is here right now. I should have enough to finish the season, and with any luck next years pricing will be back to normal.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

im straight over here in cleveland. I might have about a pallet left over after all and done with. I know i will have a pallet of calcium for walks left over. I will just use it next year. It wont take up much space. just a pallet size in the corner.

4. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Magic salt went up from $130 to $165. And normal salt around $125 at its peak, now back to around $85. Just saw an ad today in the paper.

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

ton prices are $39.50 for fine and about $50 for rock road salt....unlimited supply...

6. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

Got some extra skids of 50's any one interested let me know! prob 10-12 extra in Columbus

7. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Jay you make me want to look into bringing a few rail cars in at that price. Everyone still around 140 per ton up here. Talked to north American and Cargill they both said they "Might" be selling left over salt at the end of the season, but would still be around $100 per ton.

As far as this year I should have a couple tons left over.

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

it's not all glory, still gotta truck it 300 miles.....i've got about 125 ton in the bin and i think we are just about done with snow after tonight...

9. YBRT

YBRT Junior Member

Sounds like everyone is just about to make it through this ridiculously high priced year! wesport I would think next year most everyone sohuld be back under $80.00 per ton

10. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

YBRT,
    Don't get your hopes up too high for a return to low prices next year. In talking to the 2 salt companies they both quoted "around $100 per ton" and this is left over salt I would be buying in June/July. They said they like to keep 2 years worth of salt at the major city ports, and even with an average snow amount this year they are no where near that. That's why they don't even know if they will sell what they have left this year, they are trying to re-stock that 2 year supply.

We'll see. It can't stay this high forever, or can it????????//

11. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Repeating myself:

You will not see several million tons of salt stock piled at fresh water port port cities as it take up a lot of valuable space.

The ship, truck and rail loading system at Sifto Salt in Goderich, Ontario is filled with a three dome salt storage system.

Salt delivery by rail or barge is charged by the ton with an additional fuel surcharge last year UPRR freight charges were $64.00 per net ton plus the fuel surcharge it does not matter how many railcars of salt are ordered. the class one, two, and three rail roads have mutual agreements to deliver any frieght at one price- hence the one price per ton figure with the primary carier being UPRR or NS or BNSF or CSX,

The salt season runs from September 1 to May one during the contiguos calender years.

The mining companies will not talk to you as they will wait until all the municipal contracts are opened and they know how much salt they must mine and stockpile and any other sale are nothing but milk runs if they have the salt.

The "early bird sales" involving selling salt prior to the major at a discount are always done every year.

Every municipality, every one, runs out of salt simply because they do not and will not store enough salt for thier snow and ice season leaving that up to the mines and regional stock piles of the mines to store the potential salt needed.

As usual the salt mining companies are taking advantage of you by raising market prices legally gouging you legally using the huge seasonal demand and raising prices simply due to the structure of the state and municipal contracts they have.

The mining companies arer obliged due to their contracts to supply up to and beyond 125 percent of the tonnage desired -bid upon in the contracts they bid upon.

The small users meaning "All Of You" always lose.

I have mentioned and posted web links to national co-op organizations and in that forming regional salt buying co-ops will help all of you tremendously giving you buying power and no price spikes from your suppliers.

It is simple way to reduce your expenses-maintain a level price during the season and use the market to your advantage to avoid being gouged by either a major supplier or a minor one.

I will have the salt producers lists available soon along with the co-op web links in a file to up load for your use.

It is no different than deciding which end of the horn you want be on during the running of the bulls at Pamplona, Spain.

Unless you act in unison as a group, or several groups, the existing free market economy will continue to do the same thing to you, year after year, after year after year, as it does every year.

If you went to Canadian Rock Salt as a large buying co-op you will be dealing with a Morton Salt subsidiary and you could buy several freighters or trains of salt from the mine in the Magdelan Islands or Windsor Salt or Canadian Rock Salt in Pugwash Nova Scotia.

Leon

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  12. BigJohnsonPlow

BigJohnsonPlow Junior Member

I paid 153/ton at the Mississippi river terminal at the beginning of the season. Totally revamped everthing to sand-salt mix because of it. Don't know what it's doing now. Hope for better next year.

13. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

I paid $106 salt & $160 for Magic Salt. And $55 for Sand/Salt. No one sprayed their piles with magic salt so it was kinda tough to find that for this past storm.

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Our bin is about 1/3 full. Couple more saltings and it'll all be gone. Thank goodness we stocked up, just too bad we had to pay so much for it at the time................$100 a ton delivered now, just read an ad on craigslist.