1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt situation

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cretebaby, Sep 13, 2008.

1. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

how long do you think it will take for this salt situation to be fixed. read somewhere, might have been on here, that north america is 1-1.5 million tons of salt short if we have a normal winter. i think this will take several years and even then they will have everyone prebuying and prepaying no more going down to the salt pile to get a tandem load to restock the salt barn after every storm

2. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I think it will be year or two. Right now the muni's are running scared because of last year and are buying a lot more than they usually do, which leaves us contractors scrambling. Even if we have a normal winter and salt is available next year I think a lot of contractors will do the same thing, buy more salt than we usually do because it will be 2 years of scrambling to get salt-(end of last year and then this year). So the muni's stock up this year, we stock up next year so we have some in reserve, and that will keep prices high.

And just like you never thought you would be happy paying $3.00 per gallon for fuel, you never thought you would be paying $100.00 per ton for salt and be happy. But I think the days of $35-45 per ton for salt are gone forever!

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i normally bid the city's salt too, and this year i called NASC to get a quote.....and they said they are not taking on any ANY new muni's and did NOT even have the salt to provide if the bid was won. :eek:

pj

4. AMY TOWN & COUN

AMY TOWN & COUN Junior Member
    from CHICAGO