1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Sitting in V box salter

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sticks, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok, please dont :laughing: at me... i am asking this because i don't know....

if i get a big salt truck... like a 4 yard salter... and if i don't use all the salt can i park it in my heated shop till the next time i go out?

or will the salt turn rock hard....

i have always used a tail gate salter so i don't know.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Search, search, search.

tarp it when you go out. if its parked inside, if its heated well, it most likely will be ok. not 100% though, can you afford the risk?
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would worry more about the rusting of metal if it sits in the spreader for very long.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, you can, but it isn' t good for the spreader.
  5. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm talking about maybe a week
    if long i will just off load it into a pile then loader it back in.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Answer is still yes, but it wouldn't be very intelligent.

BTW, if 2 weeks isn't long, I'd hate to know what you consider long. Mine don't stay filled for more than a day.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Your salt will be fine.......consider topping it off and parking it full.
  8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You could only fill it up 1/4 or 1/2 untill you figure out how much you will use. Unless your salt is a long way from your accounts.
  9. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

I thought about it after i put that.... I use to do this a while ago, i would always fill up my salter ( downeaster 8' slip in) and leave it over night, run it empty and then power wash it out...

but now i want to get something bigger !!!! more power!!!! wesport and i dont think i will be using a full load...
    i am not far from my accounts but the bulk salt is far from me.
  10. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

We have done this before and believe me no good hard on the spreader and if it was not tarped while out on a run then empty the salt whats so bad about emptying the spreader
  11. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

i dont want to have to build a salt pile and a hut
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's not a bad thing.......just slows your response time.

I suppose that can be a bad thing for you if timing is the issue.
  13. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Same here. Thats why I am really trying not to get into bulk salt but it's hard not to...
  14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

you could just tarp it.....also consider your cost savings by buying bulk
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you want a bigger, more expensive spreader that you have no use for? Just so you can show off to your friends?

Did I miss something here?
  16. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

took the words right of my fingers :confused:
  17. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

no i want a bigger salter, because its an hour round trip to get salt. I don't know how you guys to things... but time is money where i come from, and if i have to shell out a little more for a truck that is going to be double as productive for me it makes sense.

but i guess not if its going to wreck the salter.
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Time is money the way you do things? Hmmm.

To "legally" move 4-5 ton of salt in a spreader, you need a pretty big truck. I would think 5500 size minimum. Do you have a use for that truck other than the 20 or so snow events each year? I don't know your actual number of events.
    Hour round trip including loading time? Doesn't seem too bad to me. It's an hour one way to the big depot, 3 ton minimum. The "local" place has no minimum, probably need to allow an hour all in. Charges 40% more per ton.

Sounds like you need to get a tractor/SS and bulk storage. That should impress your friends. And be a much better way of spending your money.
  19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

So if I understand, you got a larger salter and you want to use bulk salt. If you have been using bagged all this time, the money you will save with bulk is huge.
    You also dont want to build a salt shed, and you have a garage that is heated where you could store your salt truck in. As long as your garage is above freezing there will never be a problem with the salt getting hard while indoors. Tarp it and you will always be ready to salt at a moments notice. The problems are as follows:
    #1 it is much harder on your salter.
    #2 if you are going to be out a long time with your salter, freeze up is a real possibility.
    #3 Storing salt in your garage may cause problems to your garage in the long run.

All that being said, I store my salter full indoors. This is one of the reasons I bought a stainless steel this year. I am always ready to go. Saving time loading, unloading, and washing out my salter. In the back of my mind Im thinking maybe my warm salt, when it hits the snow and ice will turn to brine quicker. Justification is a powerfull tool. :D
  20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I've always thought about that.... Wonder if it really makes a differance?