1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Shortage ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dynamike, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Dynamike

Dynamike Junior Member

I operate in southwestern PA and my bulk salt supplier says he can't get anymore salt?? Anyone else having this problem? Anyone know where I can get two triaxle loads?

2. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

maby u could buy some bulk salt from your state if its just 2 dumps they might say ok

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

try winter brothers in paramus, nj. right near paramus park. they ship salt anywhere. don't know how much they would charge ya, but they are the cheapest around my area. i do not know the phone number off the top of my head. call information. they will have it.

you could also try the blue book of construction. look under landscape materials. the same companies that sell item 4, gravel & clay also sell bulk rock salt.

good luck.

4. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Just ordered 2 more trucks from my supplier today, they said those 2 will likely be my last loads......Cargill has cut back the amounts they allocated. Treated salt available, but 30% more $$ :(

5. shamrock1

shamrock1 Member

Received word that American Rock Salt is running very low, They are down to their last 100,000 Ton for the season,

Luckily we place (2) large orders, 1- in November and another at END of December, January so we are pretty much set....

According to the report, The consumption by municipalities and private contractors is at an all time high due to the snow fall amounts in Northern NY and the extremely cold temperatures we have endured this season.....

Wish I Owned a Salt Mine:p

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Just ordered 2 more trucks from my supplier today, they said those 2 will likely be my last loads......Cargill has cut back the amounts they allocated. Treated salt available, but 30% more $$ ---And it is worth every penny! I used ClearLane (the product you are referring to) for the first time yesterday. I find it has the same benefits that users of other coated salt products have come to know and trust. Material will go much farther than straight salt and the effects are much quicker, even at 12 degrees and precious little humidity!

I don't want to start a brand war here, but I am very happy with the results of ClearLane verus straight salt. I cannot compare my results to Magic, Ice Ban, etc. since I have not used those products.

As others have mentioned with similar products, the coating does, in fact, eat rust. I noticed the auger in my spreader had exposed metal (as opposed to rust scale buildup) after a very short time of using the product. I came away truly impressed. I cannot think of a single good reason to switch back to straight salt after just one use!

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Just watched the news and they said all of the towns in Western New York are almost out of salt and are starting to use sand.

All the county trucks i have seen today were still loaded with salt, but they are only salting intersections and sharp curves.

Is this because they don't order enough, based on previous years ?? or are they shipping it to counties and towns that ran out early ??

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Its because the demand out paced the supply, simply. Plus many other areas have needed a lot of extra salt this season. So the overall demand has been even higher than expected or normal.