1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt shortage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dhadaway632, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dhadaway632

dhadaway632 Member

Hello, not been active in quite sometime here because all we do is plow, fix trucks, sleep and repeat here in sunny Michigan. Have run into a serious issue with a salt shortage here in our area. Is this effecting you guys/gals as well?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I believe it a national issue, I'm about an hours drive from one of the largest mines in the country. They said they had 700,000 tons at the mine itself all depots filled at start of winter, their stockpile is down to roughly what will fit under a 20'x20' tarp I'm told. They are running 24 hrs a day & can't get salt out of the ground fast enough to keep up with demand.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Let's try this again.

If you're just hearing about it now, you're fortunate?

Happy?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If they would stop building so many McDonald's,there would be plenty of salt to go around.

5. RRSNWRML

RRSNWRML Junior Member

I have over 1000 ton available for purchase in muskegon, mi. Call 231 two06-987four.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

National issue, sir.

7. RRSNWRML

RRSNWRML Junior Member

i know. just thought if anybody in my state needed some salt i have overages.

8. Gus64

Gus64 Junior Member

Difficult to get here in PA...some folks have it and are selling it at ridiculous mark-ups but that is supply and demand...

9. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

I gotta ask... Do you feel this shortage is legitimate due to extreme weather-manufactured-or a little of both?

My salt usage is up this year, but not close to my heaviest year. We've had worse (or better) winters before.

Did we all have banner years at the same time?

What is your plan for next season in terms of stockpiling/supply?

Wonder where pricing will be?

10. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

We have nearly doubled our annual usage. According to our supplier the shortage will continue into next year unless we have a light winter and that should reset the system. The problem is that the mines have nothing on the ground and are already saying they cannot meet municipal and state orders for winter 2014-15 because most are significantly increasing there stockpiles.

Fortunately we have not had a supply shortage as our distributor hauls directly from the mines and when they ran out he has started sourcing from as far away as Bangor, ME. (However, We went from 90-200/ton) but we have not had a problem getting product. Next year we are going to build a bin to better insulate us from the price changes.

11. Gus64

Gus64 Junior Member

My opinion is that there is just too much demand for the salt right now and these shipping ports don't have enough delivery personnel to handle it. I use Oceanport in Delaware and have heard it is a zoo there when the ships arrive: long lines of trucks waiting to get loaded all day long...

12. siteworkplus

from mass

Just like gas...Don't expect these prices to return to normal anytime soon, if at all.

13. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

It's my understanding that a lot of the salt went south due to the extreme weather that was occurring and they do not have stock piles there because they don't normally get that kind of weather. I have also noticed that a lot of companies don't carry as much stock as in the past due to the upfront cost expenditure. There seems to be such a gross overuse of salt in today's society that many seem to need bare pavement at all times and can not slow down or deal with the weather as it comes, and all liability lands in the lap of the contractors unfortunately. I continue to watch state and town trucks running convoys with plows down and salt pouring out as the following trucks plow the slush and salt right to the shoulder Thumbs Up . I have looked at some dated satellite photos and noticed that stock piles were never really depleted as they have been this season, or restocked for that matter. We shall see what the future holds ;)

14. siteworkplus

from mass

X2 with the state over usage w/ salt

Thats why you dont see white pines along any highways

the cars today cant handle the slightest icy conditions, unlike the tanks of my youth

Its all a Gov't and Detroit conspiracy to rot out the frames and bodies of our trucks and cars

15. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

That is a very interesting conspiracy theory you have.... The government is invested in GM so it would be in there best interest to rot our vehicles out from underneath us so we can keep this pathetic economy afloat with new vehicle purchases.

16. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

LOL, the bailout money came from China ! So I don't think this is a viable theory, we can't lend money we don't have.

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If you want to talk about over use of salt, blame the lawyers and frivolous lawsuits with big payouts... everyone is scared of being sued. Literally, lawyers have ruined the world...

18. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

30 years ago no one bitched if there was a coating of snow on a lot. nowadays, you have to have salt down for fluff. its a joke.

19. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I did read that the whole "cash for clunkers" program was designed by the Chinese as a way for the US to pay them back in recycled steel instead of worthless paper dollars.

20. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

'

So true in NJ... it keeps the crews busy.. but i agree from an environmental conscious standpoint, its very excessive.

International salt, our main bulk supplier, told us in early February we were on hold, waiting for 100 tons.. then we got 50 tons two weeks later with a little pull because of one transit account... by that point three of our sites with 50 tons each were depleted to nothing, now all sharing one 50 ton pile.. blew through it in two weeks. We're using scraps left over now, including some really old pallets of bagged rock salt, blended stuff too.

Very big salt storage building will be needed going forward, can't run in this business without one with this type of season.