1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt shortage?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Feb 19, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

is anyone else getting word or being cut off from salt suppliers. just got word yesterday that Cargill and north american are stopping sales and another distributor ran out last week. suppossedly st. louis is in the negative as far as salt allotments at the moment.how is this even possible in the middle of feb?
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

It's possible anytime they want to drive prices higher....................
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Theres lots if it in Toronto this year.

Probably the first time in 8-9 years there hasnt been a so called "shortage" up here.
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, Did the price go down due to the surplus?..........Noooooooooo!
  5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I got a call from one of the suppliers last week and he actually dropped his price $5.00 a ton...then they juice the load and make it up. Thats why I stopped using them to begin with.
  6. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

we have plenty

we have a nice salt in chicago and seneca indianna $63/ton picked up
    call us at 610-497-9390 and ask for Joe Kelly.
    We have bulk and bagged salt, calcium, magnesium, blends and liquids ice melters too!
  7. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

we can deliver

it's about $115/ton delivered
  8. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Here we go again! Why?
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

No shortage here. 65 a ton delivered.
  10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Heck, I ordered about 17 ton too much (Its still at Mortons but I'm on the hook for it).... anyone in Maine need some?
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where did you buy it?
  12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Mortons out of Portland area... Need some Palmer? They were charging me $74 ton delivered but I'm in Auburn... I could find out how much to you if your interested?... PM me your address and I'll call for you....
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was just curious more than anything. We don't get any "brand name" salt out of Searsport.

At this rate, I won't need any more salt this year.:mad:
  14. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

no we don't have any shortages here either
  15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

16. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

The dreaded words of SALT ALLOCATION for contracted obligation tonnages plus the additonal 20 percent ceiling tonnages of their bid contracts strikes again.

The three remaining salt mines in the five Island chain in La. are having difficulty in delivering salt by barge due to either fewer barges being available or poor river conditions affecting delivery speeds.

In some cases one mine may have to provide additional salt for a second mine owned by the same company due to equipment failures, delivery problems related to weather conditions affecting any product being sold weeks in advance.

Most if not all the salt mined at the three mines in La. and the two mines in Texas and Lyons Salt In Kansas is sold in the midwest and and if the weather is poor this affects the useage and reduces any available salt inventories for sale to any spot purchasers of product-NO MATTER THE SIZE OF THE PURCHASE.

Every bid contract as a rule has an escape clause for the buyer which mandates that the suppliers MUST provide 120% of the contracted tonnage giving the buyer who is a government entity priority above anyone else because they are obligated to provide it.

The town and villages also win because they buy Halite at the same price as the state they are in due to the contracted lower price during the bid process.

All it does is tell you that your paddle just broke and they are only obligated to sell to the buyers who have contracts first and have no obligation to sell salt to the seasonal purchaser.

Its simply a case of thier collectively outrunning the bear and your the bears -well you know.:blush2:

The salt that is produced and sold above the allocation amount during that period allows them to charge more( a premium price ) for it and its always a problem with winters that have bad weather.

And as a result of most if not all states having bare roads policy more salt is used or missused, and we have more salt leaching in our surface waters and its all traceable back to the creation of the interstate highway system network in 1954.

As I have mentioned previously the formation of even a small cooperative to buy salt and deicing chemicals gves you huge buying power and leverage volume purchase in the marketplace.

There is no winner in this foot race with the "3 bears and the marketplace" as the independent stock pile owners already have spent money on salt and have sold it etc. and are waiting for their checks to come in from the municipalities for salt already delivered and may or may not be recieving more salt.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  17. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

came in to post. but leon said exactly what i was gonna post.prsport as usual, he is spot on.
  18. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

We had a wicked "shortage" last season. It would seem that, as a result, everyone and their little brother has tried to jump in the mix this year and be a "salt supplier" sporting huge stockpiles of the best material known to man in these 50 states. However, we have a had a pretty darn slow season thus far, and there is a *whole* lot of inventory that was brought up here in anticipation of heavy usage that is now sitting in pretty looking piles, costing a lot of people a lot of money.

IMHO, it was a gamble for a lot of guys to stockpile so much material here following last year's debacle. But the upside is--we have a buttload of salt!!

19. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Same here...but isn't he always?

Times like this show who has diversified their supply chain, and who has not.

20. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

Our salt is $63/ton but the freight to where they are out is what kills us.
    $115 IS FROM CHICAGO TO ST.LOUIS so it depends where you are or if you can pick it up.

The Co-Op is a good idea. If any of you want to discuss it we are one of the real salt companies not somebody who just jumped in the game. Been doing it 35 years! We only got into out in the mid-west 3 years ago when we started getting slammed with salt calls. Our claim to fame is we never run out!
    We don't take on municipal business so we always have and don't need to cut people off because we have to satisfy a contract.