1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt shortage on news

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DanG, Jan 30, 2003.

1. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I saw on last nights news cast that some of the towns in NY were told by their suppliers that they were almost at the end of their supply and that when they used it up they'd not be able to get any more.

They were talking to a guy from Sharon, NY and he said that it was because OGS sets up the contract for the towns to get their supplies.
    They only had another 14 tons left that was set aside for his town for the rest of the winter. But OGS managed to get him somemore after the news contacted them.

2. GVLawnCare

GVLawnCare Junior Member

No Moe Salt.....

I work for a town Highway Dept. a little bit south of Rochester. A week and a half ago, we were told no more salt by our supplier. (american rock salt). We have called around and nobody has any for sale. American tells us that maybe at the end of February they will have some. In the meantime, we have started to mix sand in 1:1. Also, we only salt hills, curves and intersections now. We also treat with magic too. The sand is just so messy
  3. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Sound like they want more money

I do not know for sure but if you follow the market it seem that alot of companys keep low supplys so they can raise the price because of demand ,They watched the oil company and saw how to do it I guess . Now for the gas price when the groverment makes the taxes off gas the more they charge the more tax they get but they will look into for us Ha Ha Ha . You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can not fool all the people all the time . Just my 2 cents . bad week sorry.
  4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Problem isn't with salt co., yes their supply is low however. Problem is some municipalities have used 10X or more than they ordered. So of course supply is going to be low, you would think these municpalities would have record to look back on & see how much on average they used, then add % for stockpile? This was in newspaper a couple weeks ago.
  5. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Around here the trouble is that we've already gotten the snowfall that would in a "normal" winter take all winter to get.

And because of it the towns & counties might have used up what they had ordered to last them for the whole winter.

I myself have no trouble getting all i want or need but i only buy it by the pallet and not in large bulk shipments.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"you would think these municpalities would have record to look back on & see how much on average they used, then add % for stockpile? "

Not every municipality, or county, or state, has the storage capacity to keep on hand the amount of chemicals they need for a whole season. So they have to rely on replenishments throughout the season. This season in this area has seen usage probably 4 or 5 times the average year, so it is definitely not as easy to get the normal replenishments.

I got lucky for the last storm. My usual supplier was having a hard time getting salt. But his supplier gave him Ice Ban treated salt at the same price as the straight rock salt, because they were out of straight salt. The only problem with that was on the Per Push accounts, because after we'd pushed them once, the Ice Ban kept them from really accumulating the additional 2"-3" that fell afterwards, which meant those lots only required a partial plowing or even a couple that didn't need plowing a second time for a 6"-7" storm. :(
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am really surprised to hear about this. I have not heard of any shortage here in CT. After seeing this I just called one local supplier here in Danbury, CT said he has a good amount on hand and has not had any reports that he may not be able to get more. A lot more sand used my the state and municipalities here so maybe that translates into more salt available. Not sure why one state has a shortage and another won't. The supplier said he thinks most of his comes into the U.S. from Newark and other NJ ports.
  8. BRL

Yea, it's a really wierd situation. My main supplier usually gets it from Newark or sometimes Jersey City, which are 45 minute drive for his tandems. For the last load he had to go to western PA to get salt. I've talked to a couple of people that say they've had no problem, and quite a few that have had problems. Obviously it doesn't all come from one source I guess. I rarely see mix or sand being used around here, but for the last storm my town did throw down sand the day after, but straight salt during the event.
  9. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

BRL, western Pa to get salt. Heck, here in west Pa the salt companies are telling the townships and towns here they are running short of salt how in the heck are they selling salt to NJ go figure that out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: One township had to get salt from Ohio, just last week.

10. BRL

See what I mean by it's a wierd situation? I believe most of the salt for the northeast comes into the Newark area ports, and one supplier 45 minutes away can get salt from there, while another one in the next town over also 45 minutes away from Newark can't. :confused: Hopefully he got some over the weekend for tonight's event.
  11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

BRL,close your gates down all the way when running magic salt,or Ice ban treated salt.Use less ,charge the same $$,make more $$,and do your whole route with one less load.That what I do,works for me.I also notioced that the last storm in particular,the snow is melting off much better,I think its the improved sun angles,and more daylight each day.My magic salt melted almost 3" of snow to nothing on one account-opps,it was a per push too:( . There was only a little slush left in the corners.
  12. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

I was told by international that Newark was running low but could deliver me salt from thier Philly location for about $5.00 more a ton. BRL if you need salt give me a call.
  13. BRL

"BRL,close your gates down all the way when running magic salt,or Ice ban treated salt."
    Yep, I've used both. I knew what a gold mine had dropped into my lap. ;) Still have about a ton left to use for tonight also. LOL I did tell my supplier about it (he hadn't heard of it except from his supplier), so he wouldn't waste it on his accounts that he spreads at. Thanks Landman, I'll be in touch if the need arises.
  14. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I've read about the salt shortages here before, but was never really concerned with it. However the other day one of our subs, said his supplier is rationing the salt out. I'm not sure of the supplier, but I think he takes his triaxle to them.

I'm still ordering in between 1 and 4 triaxles (25ton apiece) after each storm this year, and have not had a problem from our supplier, who is based outside Philly.

So I wonder, if some suppliers have more clout?
  15. moose

moose Junior Member

Salt shortage

Stock up now there will be a shortage and rationing in southern Ct. area soon
  16. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Just picked up a tri-axle load of salt yesterday in Cresson Pa. They only had five tri- axle loads left. They told my driver that they sold 690,000 tons this year. When the five loads are gone that is it for the season.
  17. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We have had no problem this year, International Salt has told me not to worry and we just picked up 55 tons yesterday, the line was a long wait but no problems. That was coming out of the Port of New Haven Connecticut.
  18. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Maybe they're hauling it back to Jersy in the empty garbage trucks?
  19. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

That's rediculous that the towns couldnt get any salt here. Cargil has to have atleast 400,000 tons at the port and international just keeps bringing in barge after barge. Yeah the lines are forever and the price is up but the salts there. I agree I think the salt companies are learning from the oil companies, we're spending $500 a week on gas and deisel with no snow, I don't even want to see the credit card bill after this last foot of snow.
  20. nulawndog

nulawndog Junior Member

International Salt is buying there product from Moton Salt in Portsmouth, NH.