1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Shortage is(was) a Scam

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turfquip, Feb 27, 2008.

1. turfquip

turfquip PlowSite.com Veteran

This three day 'crisis' was expertly timed and executed by the manufacturers in order to move inventories of higher priced products like Mortons 80/20 blend....I think it's called Action Melt. Products which normally, contractors won't purchase due to higher retail price.

Example...excuses coming from maunfacturers earlier this week ran the gamut...broken bagging machines that simply cannot be fixed... frozen barges unable to navigate to the terminals....no plastic bags available even if the machines were working...on and on.

We were told that under no circumstances would there be anymore salt this season. Contractors went nuts. Bought anything and everything at whatever price necessary to insure their customers would receive ice control when needed. Many contractors got the shaft. Yours truly included. Histeria continued for a couple of days with contractors even buying up Krogers 25 lb. bags at full retail. Anything, everything...even Action Melt and all other blends.

Now, guess what...salt is available again. Crisis subsided. Its out there if you call around at near pre-crisis pricing.

You can't tell me this wasn't all contrived. No way. Make excuses all you want for these greedy manufacturers (and wholesalers) but I stand with my original premise...this was an expertly timed and executed BOGUS shortage.

2. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

salt has always been available but because of supply and demand,the suppliers cant keep up,the weather has been more oriented to the same areas this year.if the river wasn't froze ,salt would be there,the municipalities are the ones burning it up,then taking the supply piles down,thus causing the salt to be scarce because of the river.The govt has to put in a bid just like contractors(and they get cut off too even if they didnt get their shipment and have to search other companies for salt).When you can't get it in barges then you go to trucks,inwich the cost goes up,when the highways cant be used then the railways will be used and that is time comsuming and exspensive.just have to plan ahead.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, you're right. That's why NASC is hauling salt from W Virginia to Michigan.

And they have the conspiracy so well planned that they either drove the trucks from W Virginia to MI to haul the salt off the dock in MI to my place or they painted the trucks, lettered them as being from W Virginia and Ohio and on top of that, licensed them in W Virginia and Ohio to make it all look real. And man, did those drivers fake their accents well too.

Not to mention the shortage and conspiracy is so well planned that the entire eastern half of the country AND Canada are being screwed by the suppliers\mine owners.

It's amazing that you were the first one to break the conspiracy, though. Congratulations.

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO

yeah....my salt came out of LA this year. instead of st.louis MO

they trucked it 600 miles instead of 250 miles where it normally comes from:confused:..........I GOT IT....... maybe....just maybe the oil companies paid the government to send a spec. ops team in to destroy the mines, and then they could sell more fuel for the trucking?....how bout it BRIBRIUS is that what happened? wasent you a super duper undercover agent for the secret service or somethin?

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

They even paid the State of Ohio to come in and shut the Ohio mines down.... so they couldnt sell to contractors

6. turfquip

turfquip PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm simply relating my experience and forwarding a theory, based on that experience.

Again,

Day 1...there's no salt, the machine is broken, the barges are stuck, official word is 'NO MORE SALT' for remainder of the season, we are all doomed.

Day 2...panic buying creates new markets for manufacturer's product lines that normally would not be in demand. wholesalers jack prices on remaining product, tell contractors they should be happy to get anything... at anyprice. Pay or else. Contractors reluctantly comply.

Day 4 salt shipments resume. crisis over. many contractors 'smarting' from overpaying greedy wholesalers.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

well, take back unused portions you stocked up on and demand refund. or go elsewhere...i would

8. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey, salt guys have to eat steak and lobster too!

if it works for an Arab it will work for a salt supplier

9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Whatdaya mean can't get salt for the rest of the season? I've been getting bulk salt for the past 2 weeks from my normal supplier at the same price as beginning of the season. Ya, he was "out" for about a week, but our demand has slowed recently and I believe its given the suppliers time to build up the reserves again.
    BTW its Morton salt.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Consider yourself lucky. There is zero LOCAL bulk salt available in NE IL. The Muni's are spreading sand on side roads, I have not seen sand on our roads since the 70's. The shortage is for real. Large landscape companys are buying semi loads of bagged products. Its cheaper per ton then the $190 for bulk from Pittsburgh, Lexington, or were ever they have not been cut off.
    Sno if your feeling generous do share your suppliers info, I am 6 miles from SE WI .

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  11. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

If it was a scam then why did my buddy from the city of Ptown call me and ask why they cant get salt at any price. He also asked where we got ares from! The county also ran out. I told him to order more sand and i would spray thier sand with calcium at a reasonable cost but we where just kidding around.

12. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

thats why i hardly use any salt. I have found out tht if i spray my sand as it comes out it will melt much faster than strait salt and is alot cheaper. I have one supplier in my area who isnt holding the salt for the state as they dont want to loose there contractors during the summer months since they are a quarry. The state hates it, but i think its fair.

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm from Ptown---we've had no shortage that I'm aware of. I'm able to get all I need.