1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt shortage in MI, here we go again

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by M & D LAWN, Jan 14, 2009.

1. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

Called suppliers today for salt, either they don't have any, don't know when they will
    get any or are charging $170.00 per ton. Can't anybody do anything about this insanity.
    It makes me want to quit doing snow removal. bty, don't think changing over to liquid
    will be any cheaper, their starting to charge over $2.25 per gallon.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Well if someone is paying over .50 cents a gallon they had better find a new supplier, lots of them in Michigan are 50 cents and under. Better yet buy some storage tanks and you can get Well Brine around 25 cents a gallon. There is no salt in waterford so Im switching to Liquid.

Regards Mike

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I think that liquid is going to be the way of the future. this year, the mines all said that they are only going to put out so much,...and that is exactly what they did. Next year will be the same. as far as salt goes,...it has come down to HAVING to know your projections of use, and purchasing ahead of time. I don't see a shortage ever coming up of liquid. I DO see a price increase, as more people go that direction and the demand goes up, though.

4. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

I don't know about liquid, there's a contractor that uses it next to one of our lots, it takes forever to
    melt anything, he had to subcontract another guy to come in and throw salt. This stuff is supposed to
    work better than salt at lower temp's? This morning his lot was still completely white and he put down
    2 apps last night. We just put down salt and our lot were at least getting slushy.

5. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

This salt situation is really pissin me off! Price triples and everything has to be up front. Need to take out a line of credit just to pay for it! Then if Im not pushin snow Im chasin money. We are the ones doing all the work and getting the shaft. I really wish we could do something about it. Need some Ideas. :gunsfiring:

6. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I agree. The salt game is a joke.

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Liquid is the way to go. PM me if you have questions

8. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Seems to be as bad as the oil/gas in this world. Opportunists kind of sums it up...payuppayup

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I don't think it's as much a salt "shortage", as it is people prepping us (filling our heads with doom and gloom) for price gouging. We are talking to way too many others who have plenty of salt, and most of whom are reasonably priced.

10. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have salt in Ohio...if you want to have it trucked...probably will be landed for around $135/ton.

If you want to avoid this next year, talk to me after the season ends and get a group together and I'll ship you a boatload...it will be foreign salt...however I know you'll be able to save huge dollars. Just in case your wondering..it would be about a 20,000 ton load...sounds like a lot..but when this shortage happens again next season, they will be calling you for salt...

11. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

M&D, call don at wilkinson corp. in lapeer mi, he has mineral brine for under .50 a gallon if you can take 2500 or so per delivery. I know a ton of guys are using it. We use salt brine/liquid mag and have cut our salt usage by atleast 60% and saved a ton of money.

12. Bonk Brothers

Bonk Brothers Junior Member

Bonk Brothers have salt pick up in toledo for 140 or Howell for 150. Call thim 517 548 1543.

13. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

M Tec in Waterford has salt $170 a ton, glad I went to liquid.

Regards Mike

14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

PLenty of salt in our area...I dont get the shortage in your area other than wholesalers are stating they dont have in order to get prices to go up. As a matter of fact some of it comes from northern michigan.

15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

wow real $$$$$$

16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

17. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Ask MDOT where they are getting all their salt, because they lay salt down like they need to get rid of it really fast