1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt shed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IA snoman, Sep 1, 2009.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Can any of you guys out there tell me how big of a salt barn/shed I will need to house 13 ton of salt? I might need more so I would consider a little bigger building.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's not much, just a wheeler load. You could get that under a 12x20 cover it no problem. If you put down some mafia blocks/concrete retaining blocks/whatever your local concrete plant calls them, and put the cover it on top, you can get even more in.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Must be a damn big wheel loader to hold 13 tons.
    Not sure on building size but make sure it is not metal as the salt will eat it.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Should be real close to 350 cubic feet. So 10x10x4 or 8x8x5.5
    You get the idea, not really that big at all.
  5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I have a concrete block bunker that is 12 feet wide, 12 feet deep, 2 feet 6 inches high and i can squeeze 15 ton in it. It spills out the front just a tad and its about 2 feet taller in the middle of the pile when dumped.
  6. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

i fit 35 tons of salt in a 8x20 long storage container. Almost got the doors completely closed too haha