1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt/Sander question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mister_snowplow, Oct 29, 2004.

1. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I'm just starting up this year. As of right now I'm primarily plowing residential driveways. I don't have the overhead to buy a tailgate spreader yet. For now, do you think I could buy a good lawn fertilizer spreader fill it with either salt or sand and make a couple quick passes up and down the driveway. Would this work till I can afford to buy a tailgate spreader?

Thanks for the help!
  2. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Good luck,
    Mark K
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes it will work,last year I bought a Earthway walk behind spreader,for my first salting job. I only did that about a week or two. I then went and bought a tailgate spreader. It sure is cold walking behind a spreader in a parking lot. But ues it will do the job.

Regards Mike
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We use a spreader to do our sidewalks. I don't think it will spread sand unless it is really dry. It would take no time to salt a driveway. Probably take you longer to get out of the truck and grab the spreader. GOOD LUCK!
  5. mister_snowplow

Yeah, now that I think of it, it would probably be difficult to spread sand...but salt should work. Of course this is just till I have enough money to get a tailgate spreader.
  6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

It'll work. Just make sure you up and spend the money for a quality one. Some spreader manufacturers even sell deflector shields for the broadcast spreaders which should make sidewalks even easier. One thing I can't stress enough is to clean out the spreader after each storm. I like to give it a good rinse then hit all the moving parts with good ol WD40.
  7. mister_snowplow

Thanks for the tips DJL!