1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt/sand storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by haugswild, Jul 14, 2008.

1. haugswild

haugswild Junior Member

I just moved my business to a new location and was tring to get ideas on how to store salt/sand for the winter, what kind of pit/storage areas do you guys use? Thanks for your help

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I will be using super sacks this winter.....

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Im thinking about Super Sacks also

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Its funny cause in our area, the reason for the salt shortage was that the barges were frozen in the river and couldnt make thier way to the dock. well as of 3 weeks ago they are STILL UNLOADING barges of salt. they have thier huge covered warehouse filled and outside they have a massive pile the length of 2 football fields long and one wide thats about 20 feet high, leveled, and they are starting to add another 20 feet or so. I think salt prices should be nice and low this year and no shortage in in sight.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

And how big are the piles in a normal year? Same? Less?

As for pricing and availability, "you think". Have you talked with any suppliers? Is that salt all sold to muni's?

Sorry, but I'm hearing different things, so "I think" doesn't quite cut it. For example, I have a quote sitting on my desk for twice the price of last year at the beginning. So I can "think" what I want all day long, but when it comes down to it, my supplier is "thinking" way different than I am.

7. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

What are super sacks? I searched it on Google and are they just those big bags? Where do you get them, how do you fill them? How do you unload them into a sander? Thanks

8. dmontgomery

I am getting them from a gentleman on here.... I will fill hem with my Truck craft tailgate spreader, I will use my articulating loader with pallet forks to hold them over the salter and dump them from the chute on the bottom.......

9. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of extra work, if you have a loader, why not just make a pile?

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I think your wrong. Usually the large suppliers have 25-30% of their supply left after each winter. Not only were they depleted this past winter, they are a month behind in replenishing their piles due to a late spring. I truly hope I am wrong, but another shortage just as devastating as last year could happen sooner this upcoming winter if mother nature lets us have it again. What should have been a good thing for us last winter turned out to be not so good.

The municipalities in this area have their commitments signed for 26% per ton more this year than last. They are not chumps when it comes to negotiating, and are obviously the largest users. That should tell you something right there.

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Rough day or something> no need to jump down my back. I do not work for the dock so i have no clue what is normal. what I do know is, the 50 some odd barges that were frozen in the river for the last have of winter are no being unloaded. I just figured (Also the reason why i said I THINK) that if there is already as much on the dock as there is now they would want to make sure its gets gone so they dont get stuck with it. But what do i know, i never stated my input to be taken as a statement from a salt supplier. just an observation. What I do know is the company I sub for used more salt than many munis around here and they had no problem selling salt to us all winter long. while most were here complaining, we had 30 loads lined up on the street waiting to dump. We used around 15,000 tons this past winter. That part is 100% factual.

As stated above it was just an assumption. Fortunately, I have dropped the customer down south and im not making any special trips to take pictures. I gotta say, its a pretty impressive sight, and it sure doesnt look like the dock space was made to hold as much salt that is there. I mean, why would they even build a building to cover the salt if the plan was to hold only a 3rd under a roof and then tarp the rest? Wouldnt they just save the money on the building and tarp the whole thing? Or maybe build a larger building? JM take on it. If im wrong, im wrong, no worries, im paid hourly and dont have to salt, wont sink my battleship :D

12. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I will jump ur battle ship doug......and u will not be able to plug all the holes!:gunsfiring:

13. dmontgomery

depends on your point of view........compared to 50lbs. bags it is much easier........and that is where I am coming from......#2 I don't have a place to store/ control a pile.......#3...I do not want to deal with controlling runoff......

D