1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt/sand spreader for personal driveway

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jdgreen454, Dec 30, 2007.

1. jdgreen454

jdgreen454 Junior Member

Who makes least expensive spreader that throws sand.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a push spreader for 20.00 at Home Depot.

3. jdgreen454

jdgreen454 Junior Member

I want one for my truck

4. grandview

You'll be in the 1,000.00 range than,unless you find something used.

5. jdgreen454

jdgreen454 Junior Member

I was looking at a buyers but didnt see any models that throw sand

6. grandview

Why just sand? It would have to be perfectly dry to go through if not it will sit like a lump and won't flow down.

7. jdgreen454

jdgreen454 Junior Member

50/50 mix sand salt is what id run. The buyers model TGS05B was the model I was looking at but didnt sa anything about sand.

8. grandview

Is this what the customer wants 50/50? If your using bagged stuff I think sand cost more than salt.

9. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I think it just want to use it on his own driveway from what I read. I might be wrong though.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Buyers doesn't recommend sand thrugh any of their tailgate spreaders. I called the factory and was informed of this. I went with a used Western 1000. $600 for the used one.

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

You're not going to touch a spreader for $1000 that spreads salt and sand. You' be looking t closer to 3. High 20's. Two questions come up, though. First, how big is your drive, and second, why the necessity for sand mix? If you are going to put down salt,- for your own needs, there really is no need for sand. One thing you need to consider with a tailgate spreader, is the need the control the throw. Otherwise, you're not going to have any grass or plants long the side of your driveway next season.....just dead area. Now, with a decent push spreader, you have complete control of that. A little more work, but much safer, and Lord much cheaper (a few hundred dollars).

12. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

If you are dead set on a tailgate spreader you will have a hard time spreading the mix. It will clump wether you use salt or not. You can just a walkbehind drop spreader and it will work better than a tailgate spreader for you.

13. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

The Buyers tailgate spreader will throw DRY sand ( all purpose 50 lb bagged) with no problem at all. no vibrAtor needed. It has to be dry though. But thats the $1000 model. I run straight sand thru it and I mix it with bagged rock salt.

14. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Personal driveway?.................Bucket....$4, Bag of salt.........$2.50, Spread by hand and save all that money......Priceless.

Thats what I do, and my driveway is a fair size.............

15. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Home Depot sells 50# bags of All Purpose Sand for about $2--$2.50 ea. It will go thru a buyers spreader no problem as long as you keep it DRY.

16. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I second that. Salted sand in 55 gal. covered open head drums or even rubbermaid trash cans w/ lids secured by bungees. #10 can in each to sling the sand. Put 'em along drive & be done!:)