1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt/sand Pricing in Stamford, Darien,Norwalk CT area

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jean, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Jean

Jean Junior Member

I have read so many posts on this site that my head is spinning. Need help on how to price salted sand applications. I have seen 2 ways described here, per application and per weight used. What would be better for me (specs below)? My bf has plowed for 6 years for others, commercial and driveways but this is first time pricing sand and salt.

Specs: Private road contract ~20 miles including some back and forth. Need to plow width of a 2 car passage. Client requested salted/sand mix and nothing else for melting and traction.

1) Price/application. Could this method handle spot sanding by charging partial applications eg using the percentage of actual yards used / estimated full pass yards? related question: I am assuming 7 yards of salt/sand usage per application. Am I in the ballpark?

2) Price /ton or yard with other costs grossed in (driver and truck time$150/hr + procurement time + loading time+ truck depr/est# of passes). Are salt/sand prices quoted by yard or ton usually in my area? I am located in Southeast CT. Would quote price to customer in yards or ton usage based on how suppliers quote.

4) I could use sand/salt supplier recommendation for this area close to Stamford/Darien/Norwalk.

5) Considering converting '97 F-250 to a dually and have dump truck with HIAB modified scoop arm follow and load 3 yd v-box on F-250 as necessary. Any comments on this set-up welcome.

Any help at all greatly appreciated.