1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt/Sand mixture

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Brownboots, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Brownboots

Brownboots Junior Member

Just seeing what other people use as a salt to sand mixture when customers what mix treatments. I mix 3 yards of salt to 10 yards of sand (30%). If need be I will add some more salt if it's real icey. I'm trying to get away from mix treatment but some clients won't budge. I tell them up front that it's a 30% mix and if they want the ratio higher then the cost is going to be higher. It's just tough trying to keep the cost down for the client but on the other hand maker sure the account is safe.
  2. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i do a skidloader bucket of sand, to 1 bag salt

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

If your getting a good rate for your sand dont bother pushing the customer too hard to change.
    Yes the salt would work better but sand is alot less money upfront to stock and with the salt mixed in your offering them what they want. I use your mix at 2 of my factory / trucking yard locations. The only upselling factor to the salt might be if its a location where there is alot of foot traffic into the building because with salt it wont track in that mess like sand does. Just a thought.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not trying to be a jerk but that's not 30%. You have 13 yards total and 3 of them are salt. That's 23%. If you had 1 yard of sand and 1 yard of salt your calculations would be 100%.

We mix 2 yards of sand to 1 yard of salt. That's 33%.
  5. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Where do you get your western plows from? and how do you like them?
    I live in Peterborough
    Also where did you get your Ebling? and how do you like it?
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What are you looking for?
  7. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

I am looking for my first plow for my 2003 2500 dodge, unless someone can convince me not to likely a V blade
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I was thinking of selling my V from my 07 GMC. It's not worth you buying it since you would have to buy a mount and maybe some wiring. Kijiji is a good place to look. If your buying new, cross border shopping is always an option.
  9. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Likely go new, don't want to run into issues with a used one and I am planning on keeping if for a while...not a short term purchase
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I used to mix it as light as 10 to 1. I was doing a few gravel roads, and needed to use as little salt as possible while providing immediate traction from the sand. Plus some of my accounts were just happy to see color.

Color = safe. Apparently. To the academic sector anyway.....

locally u could call evergreen johndeere in Orono
    if u want to contact me maybe we can work a deal on something I have
    Trailersplus is also in peterborough.

2cor I guess you could say seeing is believing. Does that fall under the customer is always right ? Lol.
  13. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I use a 15 yard sand to 1 yard salt... I have it in a covered builbing works fine for me...