1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt/sand mix

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DaySpring Services, Aug 17, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I know alot of people mix their salt with sand, but what are the benefits? Do you mix it yourself (and how) or do you buy it premixed? I've never really thought about this in depth before :dizzy:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The benefit of mixing salt with sand is to keep it from freezing & clumping. Both sand and salt, by themselves, will freeze into clumps (very big clumps and very hard). Each one freezes at a different rate, so they do not clump.

I had always bought mine from a construction company who mixed several ton at a time. I bought a tractor and loader last year so I could start mixing my own. I use the loader to stir up the sand with a salt mix at about a 10:1 ratio (sand to salt).

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We used to mix our sand/salt ourself because it was cheaper then buying it and we could only find 10% salt ratio and they wanted 35% salt. We used a bobcat to mix with. We would put 1 bucket of sand in the shed then a bucket of salt on top and then another bucket of sand. We would mix this with the bucket flipping it over 8-10 times. We could mix a tri-axle load of sand in 90 minutes. They have since changed to pure salt because the cost of cleaning the parking lots at the end of the winter was more then our discount to spread sand/salt.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if you do commercial do not use a mix of sand, the sand will take the wax off of the floors. and your store managers will get pissy. we use pre wetted salt.