1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt / sand (how close?)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy82, Aug 6, 2001.

1. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

hey guys. i am just wondering how close we like to keep our sand / salt supplies to where we plow? reason i ask is because i am lining up a route of 50 accounts and my yard is a nice ways away from there. so what is an unreasonable distance in all of our opinions?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Depends How Much sand/ salt you can haul.

The More you can haul the further you can go IMO. I would say no more then 15 or 20 mins away from your storage area.

If you start getting more then 20 Mins away. I would advise trying to find a second supplier.

I have thought about setting up a "sub station" which would be located near one of my lots that had a back hoe or loader. This way during the salt/sanding time. Trucks wouldn't have to go as far back to reload. However it would be hard to find a place to store salt near one of my lots. Also with 30 yards hitting the road when every truck is loaded, we can make a good dent in everything fast.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

For us it's mostly time AND distance. If all goes well than we should have our sand within roughly 3 to 4 miles from all our accounts . Since we are in a very urban area traffic plays a large part in how we service our account's . So for us four miles to go to get sand and salt is a fair distance, for others it may be right around the block . The rule of thumb I use is, if it would take longer than two hours to load and get to an account, ( in rush hour traffic ) than we won't service them because in our contract it states that is the time limit to sand anyone who calls for it ( if we don't sand at our discretion). Consider having to get to the accounts in the worst conditions, how many trips will you need to make, and if its worth it, money wise. If it's a big money maker than it's probably worth all the hassle. Just my 0.2 $