1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt/sand blend in MN?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PTTP08, Nov 11, 2010.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have a small out fit and I do a salt sand blend for 2 small lots where can on buy just a truck load at a time? As I don't have any where to store the product. I normaly sub this out but I saved my pennies and bought a new sander this year! I live in the Plymouth area of MN.

is it cost effective just to go to the local home depot and buy salt/sand in th bags and just mix in the back of the truck?

Thanks for your thoughts

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Barton in Maple Grove has good product and you can buy per truck load. Do you know where that is located at?

3. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

ahhhh is that up there by Elm creek and all that shopping mall stuff?

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

yep. take henn 61 aka xienium/northwest blvd just north of 94/694 and east on elm creek and at the second light take a left, go straight in past the dirt guy and you will hit the scale shack

5. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Thanks a bunch that is close to home too!!

6. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

hedberg landscape supply has salt sand also.

7. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

How much is 50/50 going for this year?

8. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

US Salt on the river in Burnsville also has sand/salt, clearlane, regular salt, liquid, pallets. Very good guys there.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, Great people at US Salt!

10. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Right now we buy from US Salt.

I suggested hedberg before, they are 8-10 dollars more per ton if I remember correctly but if your in plymouth its not worth driving to burnsville for a few tons.

Someone mentioned Barton I called them they were very expensive comared to others.

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've bought from Aggregate Industries as well. I know for a fact that they sell 10/90 at their Childs road location in St. Paul, but I'm not sure if they have other locations that sell it. I'm sure they have a batch plant up by you, but whether they sell salt sand I'm not sure....may be worth looking into.

12. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

What does Aggregate get for the 10/90 mix? I have been using 30/70.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I wish I could say...it's been a couple of years since I've bought any salt sand. I switched to straight salt last year. It was pretty cheap if I remember right.

14. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Seems every time I have 6T of salt on the truck, I get a call wanting sand/salt. Rather then dumping the salt to service them, I bought an old DOT truck just for the sand/salt calls. Hope it pays off.

15. SnowGuy73

Not sure about Aggregate, but US Salt is getting $25.00 a ton for 90/10.

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

aggreate in Iowa is $35 a ton for mix
    we just get sand and mix in salt as the yard dumps the sand in the trailer or dump truck....when we dump it and then put it in the building it gets mixed more and then mixed again as we load the spresader
    very easy and alot cheaper

17. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

there is only 1 Barton Sand & Gravel Co that sells 50/50 Blend (sand & ¾") in MN and that's in Maple Grove

18. SnowGuy73

US Salt also sells 50/50, for the guys in the south metro. $42.00 a ton.