1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Sacks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by River Hill, Mar 7, 2007.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

For those of you who have used or using the 1500# or 2000# salt sacks, I am looking for your experiences with them.

Also did you purchase them already filled? Are the bags waterproof? Hopefully if they are already filled the salt would not have moisture. I remember the days of dealing with frozen bags of salt.

2. Monroe74

Monroe74 Junior Member

some one had mentioned that on one of my posts still don't know what that is could you please tell me or show a pic?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've used them very successfully. Purchased the first ones full, now i fill them myself.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i purchase mine with the treated salt already in them. they are water proof for the most part. ours are usually 1 ton and run about $130 a bag. i wish i knew someone who wanted our used bags, we just threw 20 away monday, because they will not give us a return credit for them. send me a message if you need more info.

5. Jay brown

here is a bad pic of one

100_0143.JPG

6. LandCare

LandCare Junior Member

Super Saks will last about a year on a pallet, even though the manufacturers warn against storing material in super saks. They work well though.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What is the appeal of these ? The price is right at or slightly higher then what I pay for a ton of 50# bags. You still need a machine to load, so why not just buy bulk for 55 a ton ?
    Not trying to be a smart ass here, just have not figured out why there are appealing.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I personally would never use them but if you can't store bulk salt, they are the next best thing. You can also use a fork lift to load them and you don't have to deal with all those bags. On the farm all of our seed comes that way. A local landscaper buy his icemelter mix in super sacs too.

9. Jay brown

only advantage over bulk is that they are VERY clean, there is no mess to pick up. and don't really need any building storage for them.

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone have any empty sacks they want to get rid of, or know where I can buy them empty? I have an idea for loading and storing salt into these.

Thanks Bossman

11. Jay brown

any seed dealer should have them. probably more available after the beens have been planted in early summer. i tossed 22 of them last year.