1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt residue in truck cab, NEED HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJC, Jan 19, 2005.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

We are using a tailgate spreader and having trouble with white residue from salt. It is getting on the dash, arm rests and other places. I have always done it with the drivers-side window down and the defrost turned up high. Almost all salting is done in Commercial properties. My question is, do you think it's coming in through the window of the heater??? Any other help would be appreciated!!!! Thanks :waving:
  2. Backlash63

Backlash63 Junior Member
    from ny

what kind of truck is it on?
  3. wls

wls Senior Member

2002 F-250 P/S
  4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have that problem even on my pickups without spreaders so my vote goes for the open window. My problem is usually that when they start to salt the roads somtimes I can't see out the window from the film, have to put it down and going from site to site you can almost taste the salt in the air. I try to keep the window up as much as possible but its almost not possible sometimes.Another note. In two trucks I have had to replace power window mechanisms because the unit gets so corroded.Window gets sluggish and finally quits.Only on the drivers side though so I blame the problem on plowing. So, keep those windows clean and try to fight the temptation to put the window down.
  5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Guess we can have a bottle of cleaner in the truck. Maybe if we clean it after every snow it will be ok, plus have window up when salting. THANKS AGAIN
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I get he same thing in my truck. The residue comes from loading the salt spreader and the salt dust getting on me. Then the snow or freezing rain making it liquid and it then leaves a salt residue on the interior of the truck. I find it all over the arm rests and steering wheel. No big deal, it will wash off.
  7. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I thought about that too........ I may have to have a extra jacket on hand and gloves. Thanks for the info!! :waving: