1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt rates???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnkale, Jan 10, 2010.

1. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

Looking for some advise on salting rates. I joined SIMA just because i wanted to see if they had a chart i could show my customer. (which they dont) The lots are 135,000 sq ft which is around 3 acres of parking lot. My customer thinks i'm putting down way to much salt and i cant find any compare charts to read. love to hear thoughts
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

how much salt are you putting down?
  3. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm using a v-box and not exactly sure but i'm thinking around 1600 lbs
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Theres a boat load of varibles involved for sure. I guess the first thing to look at is what are you plowing with, and what sort of edge ? Rubber has good tendancy to slick up stuff like dogsnot, especially wet heavy snow. It does work super on powder.
    Also a wider blade leaves more snow behind. Crappy uneven pavement uses more salt as well.
    700-1000#s per acre is a good average. I use 800# for my bidding. I dont salt by the ton, just per application.
    Extreme cold will use alot more salt to.
  5. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

i agree with the varibles. I'm using arctic push boxes which scrape great. I prefer to salt per application as well. This is a new contract that is making me bid hourly and per lb of salt. Its driving me nuts. Every bill he has something to ***** about. I will never do it this way again. I'm much rather do flat rate. I plow you pay. i salt you pay.... but to my question 800 lb per acre??? so i'm lite at 1600. The customer read something on the web that says only a couple houndred lbs per acre. I think hes nuts
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

No way. For parking lot applications, around 20#/100 (1000#/acre) is an average standard. Now, for roads, it is different. It can be around 250 to 400# per lane mile. You could do enough research on here, and print several posts from threads regarding this matter. You have an entire network of snow and ice control professionals on here from all over the country. I think we are a pretty credible resource for this sort of info.
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You can get away with 1600#s for 3 acres in march no problem. But not now LOL.
    The customer is busting your balls plan and simple. Ask him how much he wants you to apply each time, have him sign a waiver releasing you of all liablity, and defending you in a slip and fall. Then put down his 250#s an acre.
    Oh ya when they put down 250#s per lane mile, thats usually each pass.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Uh oh, sounds like the customer has been reading John Allin's BS.

Ask your customer if he would like it if you tell him how to do his job. I know, you can't, but it's nice to dream.

The other posts have been right on, and IMO 1,000#'s per acre is dead on if not a little light at this time of the year.

Good luck.
  9. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I guess the real question is - is 1600 lbs melting it down? Shoot down a 1000 lb app and when it stays icy as hell you can call him on it :)

I average it at 800/acre as well but December into January is nearly always more of an issue with the ice with the big swing in temps we tend to have.
  10. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

"Salt is cheaper than a lawyer."

Works every time I've said it.

11. RTEnt

RTEnt Member

We have a contract that specifies the amount of salt the client wants applied. There are 3 different rates listed in the contract. My feeling is that they are a litttle light but they have been happy with the results for some time. The first rate is right after a snowfall and that is roughly 360lbs./ acre the second is a subsequent pass and is half that rate or 180lbs./ acre, and the third rate is basically spot salting at 100lbs. to the acre. Not sure if it helps but like I said these rates are specified by the client.
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

this is what i would do. I would ask him, how much salt he wants....

walk into his office after your done plowing, Calmly say "sir, i want your business, long term. If you feel that we are using too much salt, then please tell me how much you would like down? i feel strongly that 1600 lbs is the correct amount, but the customer is always right, and if you want im willing to try it your way. spread his 250lbs see what happens.

you might also set up a meeting after that , and explain all the different factors, the moister content, the air temp, the surface temp.... then explain that he proablly was reading info for DOTs, and that they salt every pass they make.... so every hour they are getting more salt.

after that explain...we can keep doing it your way, but a service call will be charged to come back, OR we will come back at no charge when the route allows us to. this could be 4 hours later, please understand we have other customers as well with the same problem as you, they all need plowing and salting quickly. Just like a doctors visit... if you dont take the docs advice. and end up coming back...it costs you more