1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt quote ... what to do?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick76, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Hey guys,

Seems like alot of accounts are dragging their feet about commenting just yet to a contract for the season.... My salt supplier gave me a quote for salt and its good until 9/17... they can't guarrantee after that if they'll have any available or if they do the cost of the salt.....My questions are what would you guys do? call the customers? call around for another salt supplier? Anyone know of a salt supplier in Maine (I'm using morton now? or NH or MA?

Anyones thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

TIA
    Mike

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Doesnt hurt to put a call out to anyone you bid on, let them know you are trying to get things lined up for the year including your salt. Since its early sept it should appear to your potential customers that you are really on the ball.

3. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I dont know where you are in ME I get mine in Monpeiler Vt at Dubois construction They treat me very well and they have nice dry salt. If your interested Ill get you the number

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

what i do is keep enough around to last me about 2 years. this way i can get it when it's cheep and when the fuel prices are at lower levels...it's a lot less stressfull too......j

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Jay,

Problem is my past accounts (all of which are only 1-2 ac each) want salted sand... this year many accounts I bid on are larger 8+ ac and want straight salt...... here my delima, I have a supplier that supplies salted sand cheap and hes in town close to all my accounts. I would be storing straight salt on one of these sites I've bid on, but everyone is taking their sweet time getting back to me.... I know its part of the game, but its the part that stinks... and if they'd realize how much work it is to get everything in order for the season maybe they'd be alittle faster in getting back to su!....rant over....

Steve I just might take you up on your offer...thanks