1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by New_to_plowing, Sep 21, 2001.

1. New_to_plowing

New_to_plowing Junior Member

I have spent over 2 hours searching for an answer to my question. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I had no luck finding the answers.

This will be my first year of plowing, we currently do the landscape/lawn maintnence for 3 good sized hotels, and we will be bidding for the plowing this winter. They have requested "limitless" salt to be included with are quote. I have two questions. 1. is a ton of salt roughly a yard? 2. how much space will a yard of salt cover? I realize alot depends on how "thick" you put the salt on, but is there some sort of "rule of thumb"?

Thanks for any input, and again, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm sure I'll have more questions, as I'm trying to learn as much as I can! (gotta start somewhere!)

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Salt, Ice Ban, Clear Lane, etc.

I use 12.5 lbs / 1,000 ft squared as a general rule of thumb (maximum rate under most conditions). I arrived at this figure by averaging out last years usage . I used straight salt last season.

This season I am looking at Ice Ban and Clear Lane. Any reduction in application rate will translate to savings.

3. New_to_plowing

New_to_plowing Junior Member

Thanks! I've been searching this site, and reading all day, to learn as much as I can. I'm working up one of the bids right now. There's approximately 64,281 square feet. This is the smallest of the 3 bids. Wow, I'm gonna need alot of salt!

4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Glad to have been of some assistance. I was speaking to another contractor today on the telephone. He pointed out that for hardpack, etc. that you are going to have to go quite a bit heavier with your rates.

Just an additional thought to ponder.