1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt questions, New to site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JDKSERVLLC, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JDKSERVLLC

JDKSERVLLC Junior Member
    from MI

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and new to the industry. I started clearing snow in 08/09 residential only and that lead to other things, grass/landscaping and such. I'm still residential only and working about 60 accounts this year, snow blowers and shovels only!!!

My question is regarding salt. I'm looking for someone to explain to me the diff between Calcium vers Magnesium Chloride, and blends of the two??

What I've been told; the Magnesium chloride is a pet friendly salt, and safe for the cement and vegetation. The Calcium Chloride isn't safe for pets but is better on cement and vegetation than plan-old rock salt.

So is the info I've gathered good info?? Is that about all there really is to it??

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

welcome
    the search button is your friend and try reading in the ice control forum

3. POWER STROKE

POWER STROKE Member

Hi there,
    I like to see there is more guys out there like me. I only use snowblowers and shovels right now I been doing it for four years now. what area are you from if you don't mine me asking.